Traffic in Chicago has nothing on this craziness


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima
March 1st 2011
Published: March 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

The traffic situation here is insane. When we drove in from the airport we were amazed at how crazy everyone drives, not to mention the fact that you are inches from the car or autobus next to you at any given time. There aren’t really lanes of traffic per se, the cars kind of just weave in and out of the road when they can, there are very few traffic lights, only at the very major intersections and so at the smaller streets that intersect the main roads, it’s a free for all and cars just go when they can and people walk when they think it is safe which may or may not be the case haha. When we were down in the dodgy part of the city yesterday we saw a car accident right in front of us. Some lady sped through a traffic light and got smoked by a huge autobus, it messed up the passenger side quarter panel of her car but she just kept on going. Everyone on the bus seemed a little stunned and then it drove away and everything was business as usual. I have yet to figure out the bus situation here and honestly I don’t see myself taking any of these busses. There aren’t really bus stops, basically people gather on the side of the road and when busses come by, they kind of slow down and the driver screams out the window where the bus is going, some people get on some don’t, sometimes the busses don’t even really stop completely and people have to jump on. It’s loco. Today as we were walking to get a coffee a motorcycle came by so fast and almost swiped us. When we took our first taxi yesterday I asked the driver how he got used to driving in this craziness and he said it took him five years to really get it down and that the police aren’t very concerned with how people drive around here. More to follow but chew on that for now.

Advertisement



1st March 2011

MAN
how interesting!! Nycki and I are reading every day and enjoying your style. You need to put this in book form dude! Be safe, Love you!~

Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb