Welcome to Peru!


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima
December 27th 2010
Published: January 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Room with a viewRoom with a viewRoom with a view

Ocean view from our room at the Barrnaco Backpackers Inn.
We have finally made it to South America! We landed in Peru around 1 in the morning after 14 hours of travel. Tired, hungry, and full of anticipation. Our first task was to sleep. We had arranged for a hostel to pick us up, but as with many aspects of travel, things did not exactly do our way. After making early morning calls and waking up some sleepy hostel caretakers we made our way to the Barranco disitric of Lima. Barranco is the bohemian artsy side of Lima.

As cities of the world go, Lima does not impress. The city is home to nearly 8 million people and the streets pulsate with humanity. Smog covers the city limiting what would be impressive views of the Pacific Ocean. There are beaches, but it is common knowledge the sewage and waste are emptied into the Pacific unfiltered. Regardless the beaches are packed with locals and surfers.

After recovering from landing in a new country we headed out to central Lima. The plaza de armas or central plaza is the historical center of the city. It is surround on all sides by cathedrals and women selling alpaca hats. We had to go see the Convento de San Francisco. It is know for its crypts filled with bones of saints and common people alike. The musty underground passage ways were packed full on femurs and skulls. Christians are a funny people.

For our last venture around Lima we head up to one of the highest points in the city. The view atop San Cristobal shows Lima at its rawest. Vast shanty towns and layers of smog against an endless symphony of a bustling city.

We headed out of Lima fairly quickly. We booked our 15 hour bus ride to Arequipa, the "white city" of Peru.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Some where in LimaSome where in Lima
Some where in Lima

This is a historical building, probably religious in nature. There were a LOT of these, I really don't remember what this place was.


Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0682s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb