Visiting Plan Lima


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima
March 2nd 2006
Published: March 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Finally it was the day we were about to meet our sponsor child from Plan (www.plan.fi). We met the Plan workers at the office and they showed us their premises and told us about their work. After that we got a ride to the outskirts of Lima to a poor community where our sponsor child Estanli lives with his family.

Once we arrived closer to Estanli´s house we saw him waiting for us at the doorsteps and he greeted us with a hug and kiss. It was so nice to be able to meet the family and talk with them after having sent letters for a couple of years. Estanli was just an adorable little boy, really nice and polite. His mother told us that he is really well behaved and takes good care of his siblings and he´s doing well in school. His favorite subject is maths. We lost our hearts to that little boy. Must say that his mother is extraordinary women, who has raised the children well under hard living conditions, where they are struggling without health care, sewage system, running water and proper food.

After chatting with the mother and playing with the kids we went for a walk around the community and visited in kindergarden, health post and dining room. The community worker Monica explained us how they manage the Plan donations and what they have been able to improve in community with the money we have donated each month. It felt really good to hear that what is small amount of money for us can make a difference for them. Hopefully we are able to visit Estanli and his family again after some years.

After heart warming meeting with the family in the poor neighbourhood of Lima we returned back to the posh Miraflores and felt a bit confused. The contrast is just so huge and we are so priviledged. Life is not fair.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

A posh shopping center at MirafloresA posh shopping center at Miraflores
A posh shopping center at Miraflores

Contrast to the poor neighbourhoods of Lima


Tot: 0.033s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0151s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb