First Impressions of Lima... pt1


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima
October 6th 2007
Published: October 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Plaza MayorPlaza MayorPlaza Mayor

I love the palm trees.
After two full days in Lima I feel I have grasped the vibe of the city.

At first glance (driving around in a taxi) Lima is aesthetically unapealling - rows of attached one-storey buildings are located along the streets, appearing very much as an asphalt jungle. The buildings are mostly some type of business or living quarters. Although different colors of paint usually distinguish where one property begins and another ends, the pain seems old and dirty from the incessant traffic so the overall color that persists is grey.
After visting specific areas of Lima by foot the perception is hardly grey. There are still streets that look run-down and just plain ugly (for lack of upkeep), but most areas have an attractive aspect of it.

The prettiest part by far is Miraflores. I call it 'clean urban'. It has all the urban aspects, malls to McDonalds, but the greenery of the park in the center and the presence of zebra crossings makes it feel safe.

The center of Lima (what the Limeans call simply 'Lima') has all the 'old' buildings used by the government - the house of the president and the house of the mayor. The main square (also known as Plaza Mayor) is called Plaza de Armas (Weapons Square) -- not a name to my liking, but perhaps appropriate since the next to the national and municipal buildings vehicles similar to tanks are located, with a number of guards walking around (this takes place on the sidewalk, even though both houses are protected by iron gates that encircle the property).

There are a number of 'old' balconies in the center of Lima, which are considered pretty so here's a pic!

I was also treated to the traditional October dulce (dessert) of Lima called El Turron Especial de Doña Pepa. No one knew why it is only available in October but more importantly, it can be bought by kilograms! Yay! It is a mix of cookie and some kind of marmalade/caramel sticky substance. Very yummy! I will have to take some home before
Guards at the Presidential PalaceGuards at the Presidential PalaceGuards at the Presidential Palace

They do wave back! Although subtly.
I leave.

It is currently the beginning of spring in Peru but it is still way too cold for me... I could use a feathery jacket, except I didn't bring one. I really do not have much luck with weather when I travel. I seem to have all the wrong clothes! At least it's a good excuse to go shopping.

Another fun fact to end part 1 of Lima: At the gas stations the employees pump gas and handle the transaction, you never have to get out of the car - my mom would love that! Apart from that there are SO many women working at gas stations, I would say in average the ration is 50:50. Likewise, I have never seen a woman working at a gas station in Croatia, unless it's one of those poor starving students trying to wash your windshield.

Spanish Word of the Blog Entry: Arma (pl. Armas) = Weapon

That is all for now..

Ta-ta darlings!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Old BalconiesOld Balconies
Old Balconies

These are the balconies of the central church located on Plaza Mayor. Really pretty, dontcha think?!
Turron Especial de Doña PepaTurron Especial de Doña Pepa
Turron Especial de Doña Pepa

It is cut by weight.


Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0474s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb