Tasting the local Delicacies!


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima
February 28th 2007
Published: March 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Following some handy tips from "Lex Luthor", the owner of the Hostel we had just stayed in, we decided to try a Peruvian delicacy. We had already tasted several traditional dishes including; Guinea Pig, Lomo Saltado (fried beef with onion and tomatoes - very popular), Chiviche (raw chunks of fish with lemon and onion - the acid in the lemon is supposed to cook the fish), Regatta Reyana (Stuffed chili pepper) and buckets of Coca Tea (which we are assured is legal, at least in this Country!).

We thought we’d take it to the next level and try the famous "Anticucho". This is extremely popular in Peru and very rich in Iron. Anticucho originates from the Black slave community, who were given the worst parts of a cow to eat. Anticucho is the cow’s heart and is served on a skewer, kebab style, and is truly "¡deliciosso!", tasting like fillet stake, only richer. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for the side dish accompanying it. Tucking into what Bex thought was squid and what Dom thought was cheap chicken, we soon realized we were in fact munching on cow’s intestine and stomach lining!!! It was really revolting and we didn’t go back for seconds!

Who knows what will be next!!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0188s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb