Visiting an autism centre


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima » Lima
May 24th 2013
Published: May 24th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Lima, Peru. Visiting an ABA Autism Center
We (Rosalyn and Glen) had the wonderful opportunity to arrange a visit to Lima's autism early intervention center, called Alcanzando. For readers who may not know, Rosalyn is a BCBA Autism Consultant and was interested to explore ABA supports in South America that help children with autism. Dr Mapy Chavez is the only BCBA practitioner in the country and she energetically founded and runs an ABA center for children with autism (up to age 7). This is intensive work as no government funding is available and only private funding and donations keep this intervention center running. The dedication within this center was amazing.

That day we observed 5 students in one to one sessions, working individually with a teacher. All lessons were running simultaneously in one area as students worked on specific, varied skills (academic, life skills, imitation). One family was visiting and using ABA strategies with their child while supported by the teacher. As well, a coordinator was working in the room. Of course, a plethora of ABA strategies and programs were seen everywhere in the busy environment.

During the lessons, data is collected by the teacher, and later, skills are graphed and displayed on the wall for each student. The teachers work with the students 4 days a week, and have one day a week for continuous ABA training. As a requirement of the center, the parents are partners and work with their children at least 12 hours a week following the center's ABA homework.

The center has a waiting list, and due to funding and resources, children might attend for a minimum of one month or longer. Regardless of the time spent there, learning opportunities and growth in skills become possible through Alcanzando staff and Mapy Chavez's tireless efforts. As mentioned earlier this centre relies only on private donations. If interested to learn more about the centre the website is http://alcanzando.org.pe, and if desired a donation can be made which helps to hire staff and run the centre. As well, if you want to chat in detail about this experience, email Rosalyn.

It was inspiring to witness the work and energetic efforts that help families and students with autism! It was another great learning experience during our trip in South America.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0322s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb