Day 71 - Out of the Oasis, Into the City


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima » Lima » Miraflores
June 1st 2010
Published: June 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

We awoke with a plan to sunbathe, but the weather was against us. Despite being in a desert oasis, clouds filled the sky so we spent the morning chatting to the hotel parrot - fluent in Spanish, before grabbing a quick lunch and heading out of the oasis.

We hopped on a bus to Lima, during a mere 4 hours they tried to cram in three films, much to Sophie's amazement as our 13 hour flight to Argentina had only had two! The Spanish dialogue and subtitles is definitely helping my vocab... at least that's what I tell myself when I'm watching the flickering pictures.

We arrived to the busiest hubbub I've seen in South America, traffic everywhere, high rise buildings and a total culture difference. This coupled with Lima's dangerous reputation did not endear the city to me.. but you should never judge a book by its cover. We caught a taxi to our hostel, the Lighthouse, in Miraflores and were pleasantly surprised by both. We wandered along the beach after trying to find a fish restaurant detailed by the Lonely Planet (now 3 years old!) that longer exists and eventually settled upon "Adios Chow" - a funky cafe serving Mexican food. Huge enchiladas covered in cheese and salsa! A decent meal for our last dinner with Taryn before she heads off to Costa Rica to do her month long dive master.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.007s; cc: 15; qc: 79; dbt: 0.095s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb