Day 1 in South America


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima » Lima » Miraflores
February 26th 2010
Published: February 27th 2010
Edit Blog Post

I woke up in the hostel feeling refreshed and excited about the start of my South American tour.

John and I headed up to the bar for breakfast and discussed various plans for the next few weeks. He told me about recommendations he had from other travellers that he had met in Columbia and Ecuador. We decided that we would take a look round Miraflores the district of Lima we were staying in.

So we headed down towards the beach. The area we are staying in is not dissimilar from many other cities, there is a McDonalds opposite the hostel and many other well known chain food and clothes stores line the streets. The area has been well developed and there are plenty of modern glass buildings and well maintained parks and squares, though the high electric fences and walls with glass bottles cemented into the top remind you of the poverty outside of the city.

Lima sits on top of the cliffs and upon reaching the beach we discover the beach front has actually been cut into the cliff, the restaurant balconies hang over the edge and give wonderful views of the sea. We had lunch in a fairly swanky looking restaurant, which John explain was very expensive. My Panini was 9 sol which is about 2 pound (pound signs don´t exist on these keyboards).

After lunch we head back to the hostel to decide what to do for the rest of the day. As its a hot afternoon we decide to have a cool beer whilst we make up our minds. As we sit drinking and catching up on the past two years, time seems to skip forward and suddenly its evening. So as not to completely miss out on our first opportunity to do some sightseeing we head back out into Miraflores to find a Peruvian Cafe and try the local food, however, we seem to end up in an English pub with a couple more beers. As more time passes and we lose all hope of doing any sightseeing, we head back to the hostel via KFC.

Well my first day in Peru hadn´t worked out quite the way I planned, we seem to spend most the day in the hostel and English pub and tried the delights of Peruvian KFC. Maybe tomorrow will be more successful.

Advertisement



27th February 2010

Hi!
Glas to see you made it safe and sound, even if you did tell em you were leaving the day after the day you actually left! How long you planning on staying in Peru/Lima? x

Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0357s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb