Inner City Life


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima » Lima » Miraflores
November 25th 2008
Published: December 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Lima via a very comfortable flight from Cusco, it took us an hour to cross the mountains and touching down in Lima was a pleasant sight. We had done a bit of research and from the LP´s description we thought that it would be a mass of people all scurrying around in a hoard of unkept buildings and dirty streets. Well too be honest we could not be so far from the point, it is a very modern, developed and in lots of places, an upper class metropolis. Sure it has some areas that any realistic hostel owner will guide you away from but on the other hand it contains every amenity that you would require.

We situated ourselves in Miraflores, probably one of the nicer ends of town. The hostel that we stayed in was lovely, a bit on the under loved side, but with its proximity to the beach and the main drag it was perfect for our needs. I settled back into the beach lifestlye very quickly and caught some waves in the afternoon while Em chilled around the shops and got in touch with the folks. The main street at night was a hub of bustling restaurants, casinos and a complete mix of people either getting their fix of fodder or taking in the nights air. We sampled a couple of beers from the local Sushi bar and with some snacks retired back to the hostel with a bottle of vino. It is quite strange that there is not much of a price difference between staying in and going out, the bar prices are quite similar to that in the supermarkets.

The next day brought the usual constant haze of mist and fog/smog over the city, so it was organise day. We got the bus tickets to go north to Trujillo and booked our flight tickets to travel out of Lima in a week and towards Montevideo. We actually got a great deal and paid half the price of the usual tickets. Along the cliff edge of Miraflores is a very new shopping mall that houses a multi screen cinema complex. So in the evening we decided to watch the new James bond movie, all very surreal sitting in the middle of Peru watching films but it was in English with Spanish subtitles.

As we had planned on a night bus to Trujillo we had our third day just milling around, getting a fantastic and cheap 'Menu Del Dia' from restaurant around the corner and mainly blogging or relaxing in the hostel until our departure.

Lima is a great place to get stuff done and can provide a comfortable experience for city adventure. Sure we missed out on a lot of the cutural stuff but after the Inca trail we were a little 'ruined' out. Limeons were really cool, helping us out with everything that was asked.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0322s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb