Return to Lima - Day 10


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima » Lima » Miraflores
March 17th 2008
Published: April 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Our Trip

Glasgow to Amsterdam, to Lima, to Pisco, to Ica, to Lima, to Huaraz, to Lima, to Iquitos, to Lima.

Lima CentreLima CentreLima Centre

The boys centre in Lima. First port of call for all boys.
Day 10 - Lesmahagow to Peru.

We said goodbye to Iquitos and headed back to Lima for the final leg of this part of the journey. No extreme turbulence on this flight! Thankfully. Today was the last day with the Vine Trust and Scripture Union Peru, and it was finished in style. We visited the boys centre in Lima and, and we were introduced to all the boys there. These were boys who had only recently come in from the streets, and so their trust levels were still very low. The centre in Lima is very different from all the other homes that we have visited during this trip, but it needs to be. The boys have spent years on the streets with no guidelines, no boundaries, no restrictions, and so it will take time and patience of all the staff and volunteers to guide these kids through the period of adjustment. The doors to the centre are always open - metaphorically - and so the boys always have the choice to either stay or leave.

After lunch we had our final get together with Paul and Marty and the Vine Trust - Albert and Willie, and we were
Lima CentreLima CentreLima Centre

One of the dorms.
introduced to a few of the boys whose stories we had been told when we arrived 10 days ago. One of the lads - who is now 19, told us that it has taken him many, many years to change his life around and that we should realise that changes don't happen overnight. It is a long slow process.

The Scripture Union Peru is doing amazing things in Peru and The Vine Trust are helping them every step of the way. It has been an incredible journey, both physically and emotionally. To see faith in action is always such an amazing experience.

www.vinetrust.org - your can help too. Help change lives, help save lived.

To read about some of the stories which will melt your heart, buy the book, "Southern Cross" by Paul Clark, available via Amazon in the UK and Barnes & Noble in the US.




Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 54; dbt: 0.05s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb