How to take the shine off a perfect evening


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima » Lima » Miraflores
November 2nd 2007
Published: November 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

This evening we called a taxi and went to the renowned restaurant Astrid y Gaston in Lima. A 10 nuevo soles trip took us to an interesting building with a tiled floor, high ceilings, attentive waiters and a fascinating (and complicated, for those of us lacking experience in Peruvian menus) selection of food. There is an oriental slant to traditional Peruvian cooking and after starters of ceviche (also spelled as cebiche, seviche or cevice - a form of citrus marinated raw seafood salad), Jen had a delicious fresh prawn and rice dish and David put away most of an oriental beef and pepper dish that was tender and tasty.

All was well, even the 320 soles bill, until we tried to get a taxi back to our hotel in San Isidro - a fifteen-minute journey. A cab was ordered but evidently failed to materialise. Then we were informed that one could be obtained but at a cost of $10 - 30 soles versus the 10 soles that the outward journey had cost. After a short while a taxi was obtained that would take our fare for 10 soles, but a very pleasant evening at a fine restaurant had been spoiled for the sake of the final touch.

Since writing this I have since been chided for being unduly careful about my money, whether it be Nuevo Soles, Yankee Dollars or Pounds Sterling. It's just that I don't enjoy being fleeced!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.206s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1586s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb