Lima Reunited


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima » Lima » Miraflores
August 9th 2007
Published: September 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Arrived in Lima at 8.30am, and got taxi to Flying Dog Hostel. The taxi driver had some very strange breaking patterns as we weaved in & out of lanes at high speed! Relieved when we final arrived at the hostel, to discover we were at the wrong one, as there was a chain of the same hostel brand within Lima. However we did meet a very friendly hostel cat lazing on a sofa chair! We got assisted across the square to the correct hostel with the help of the tourist police.

We checked in & decided to make the most of our last few days in Lima, & our last experience of freedom! The hostel based in the Miraflores area, had a characteristic warehouse style, was brand new with very helpful staff . We walked up to the promenade - misty, so not very clear views of the headland, past numerous street beggars. We did a little souvenir shopping & then returned to our Mexican café, as incredibly good value & tempting burritos. Then we wandered around the neat square, & looked at the colonial style architecture.

Gradually as the mist started to clear we saw para-gliders, surfers and the jetty was visible, although the atmosphere was still very polluted. In the afternoon, we decided to make use of the very posh, and incredibly good value cinema, to watch the long awaited Harry Potter - latest film. As usual, our snack was presented slightly unusually, with the popcorn cone actually sitting on top of the coke carton, with a straw passing through the popcorn mound into the drink beneath - expect the unexpected! We had a more chilled out afternoon, recovering from our many bus journeys.

In the evening we returned to a very nice vegetarian restaurant situated on the square called 'Bircher Benner', offering a great service and a good selection of fake substitute meats and healthy vegetarian dishes. As we ate our meal, we noticed a strange gathering of people outside, (possibly teachers) dressed in graduate gowns parading down the streets and entering the balconies of the town hall playing musical instruments and dancing. Later we decided to head down towards the main bar strip and enjoy some Sangria to celebrate our last night in Lima, very sad thinking of all our past experiences & how the time flew so quickly! The end of a trip of a lifetime - highly recommended!!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 21; qc: 74; dbt: 0.0899s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb