Its Lima´s Birthday , You know? (Happy 477)


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima » Lima » Lima
January 18th 2012
Published: January 19th 2012
Edit Blog Post

BeachWalk

Most of today started with the plan , that we were going to take the tourist bus, or Turibus to see Lima, so we made our descent towards Larco mar, where the bus tour picks us up.We went along the sidewalk area of Larco mar , to find a way to go down to the beach area, because a) i wanted to put my feet into the Pacific, i was already mildly burned so sunbathing was out of the question and b) Joanna wanted to try Cebiche or Ceviche a local dish with raw sole with chilli and lemon. We walked along the coastline which worsened my burn , but i did what i planned to do, pretty scary to be honest- beach layout not the best. Normally there is sand and then the water, but here its sand ,stones and then waves hitting the stones that are a bit of a small hill, ( u have to go down the little hill to enter the water). A lot of surfers flocked the beach, would like to try surfing if another chance arrises. It looked fun though scary as well especially with the Tsunami warning signs along the coast. Then we also got informed that Lima is in the 'Circle of Fire´a very seismic area.

Cebiche

So Joanna had her Cebiche which was seafood marinated in lemon and chilli with lots of onion. It was a wrong choice after all... Don't get me wrong, i ate it all it was delicious very filling but this morning I woke up with a rash. 😞 All the wrong food for people with sensitive skin because of its high level histamine-containing ingredients. Its not bad for everyone though. Stefanie had some and nothing happened to her, the only thing that seems to bother her here is the sun 😉 she was unprepared for it nonetheless.



CitySightseeing Turibus

We were greeted by the familiar smell of the deodorant , as we headed to the deck, i decide to take cover with our raincoat, so that i would not get severely burned. We were welcomed by one of the most enthusiastic guides ever. He was so into it, that hands and eyes also were gesturing to what he was saying. We learned that the Incas were also into human sacrifices( only young female bodies found), a notion that recently has surfaced. That Lima was not the original capital, there were 2 others before it was chosen ,the 1st being up in a mountainhill and the second one being a desert- hardly ideal for a capital. As you see from the title of the post, it was the Birthday of Lima, and the whole city was in celebration.We were in Plaza del Armas at the Centro Historico of Lima where the Municipality house was, along with the Cathedral and Pissaro´s castle . He was killed there murderred by swordsmen. Part of the tour was also visiting the catacombs and the San Isidoro Cathedral which was decorated in catholic and muslim ornamented tiles part of the Andalucian tradition.

Lima was called the city of kings, that was not due to the fact that many kings lived here, but because of the 3 kings that visited baby Jesus, guided by the star, their coat of arms is 3 squares and a star in the middle of them.Peruvians name places, events by religious happenings, hence this one, the 3 kings are celebrated on the 6th of January, which is the closest to the 18th.

One of the highlight of the tour for us , was some expressions that the guide used, like : you have to remember and you know? He was amazing though, being fluent in Spanish, ¨Portuguese and English, who knows maybe more....

Another statement that needs to made is that Argentinians are hot & fun and they dont smell the same, seriously this country should have been included in our destination.Major mistake we did not include it, maybe next time!



off we go now, next stop Arequipa and the guided tours of Eduardo Rivas and associate of Luis Vela!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.292s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1206s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb