Abstract Potato Art at a White Water Wedding


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima » Lima » Lima
August 25th 2008
Published: September 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

What a title! I think you´ll agree that this is going to be worth a read or a least a quick shufftie to find out who the hell has Potato Art at their wedding - nae Abstract Potato Art (a different class I think you´ll agree). Or perhaps you´re just wondering what on earth Potato Art could possibly be. Well read on ... and you won´t be disappointed (actually you might, there´s only so much we can do).

This month of course featured a small diversion from the planned course of our trip. To be honest, every month has featured a small diversion to the course of our trip - we´re just flighty like that. But, for one of us this diversion was a touch more extreme. So that while one was plunging into the icy depths of a Scottish Summer the other took to the white water and ... well ... just tried not to drown.

It is not gentle going down the stream in one of the ´Worlds Most Dangerous´ (notice a theme insurance people, hmm. We want our money´s worth) rivers with only a paddle, a large inflatable and someone attempting to teach you the finer points of Spanish through the medium of screaming and throwing tantrums. This is of course childsplay in comparison to surviving four flights, 36 hours of no sleepy time and the evils of a free bar. Little was our separation stopping us, however, as we each danced the night away to the sounds of 80´s pop and the buzzing of mosquitoes. Well midges, but I swear they´re worse. Sure in a one on one the humble midge might be outclassed by the weighty Amazon mozzie, but in a strength of numbers that their power lies. Don´t be fooled that´s not mist in the Highlands, the Midges have brought friends.

So as one of us dined on salmon mousse and three main courses (seriously, I´m always sitting at the table of oldies during weddings. The chat is great AND they feel the constant need to top your plate up) the other was being tossed down rapids with such reassuring names as "the last laugh", "you first" and ...´aaaahhhh you´re going to DIE! (or something like that - Spanish is a funny old language). I think everyone can agree which is the more relaxing option - No one likes their relatives!

Note: Please be assured that the previous statement is not intended to offend, miff, peeve or generally fluster any such persons as maybe related to us. We love you all - especially when we´re in Peru and you´re there.

After both spending days at some of the lowest altitudes that either of us had seen for the past 3 weeks with the various bugs determined to make our feet lunch.

Oh hang on just one minute ....

Abstract Potato Art

When visiting the museums of the world one is often surprised by the wonder that human culture can imagine. Design and form brought forth through every medium imaginable to emote and convey hopes, thoughts, dreams. It is with great anticipation then that we approached the Peruvian ´Museum of the Nation´. A terrifyingly comprehensive collection of countless cultures that have inhabited this land since the dawn of time. Spanning some of the most incredible feats of art, architecture and agriculture the world has ever seen.

Only none of it was to be seen

None. Not a sausage. Nada. Ziltch. Zip. Zero (I know more words for nothing but I´m sure you get the point).

It was being cleaned. All of it at once. And what they had in its place was perhaps the most enlightening exhibit that has ever graced the earth. Yes, you guessed it ´Abstract Potato Art´. A joyous rollercoaster ride through the world of modern Peruvian potato art and what with over 200 varieties of potato you could be there all day. We weren´t.

Sure we can laugh now and discuss the merits of rotting vegetable as art, but when you consider that we walked for 3hrs there and back and gave up the chance to visit countless other places that may have had, shall we say, fewer potatoes exhibits on display. We think you´ll agree that our time in Peru couldn´t have been better spent.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 15; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0463s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb