City Tour of Lima


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima » Lima » Barranco
December 8th 2012
Published: December 9th 2012
Edit Blog Post

On the City Tour of LimaOn the City Tour of LimaOn the City Tour of Lima

Next to the City Tour Bus.
Today I’m taking a City Tour of Lima. We leave from Larcomar Shopping Center. We have a tour of Barranco. Barranco is a romantic and artistic center of Lima where artists, designers, and musicians gather, and it is a center of night life. It used to be a seaside resort in the 19th and 20thcenturies.

Then we went to the Centro and went to St. Martin Square and the Plaza de Armes. We toured the Monastery of San Francisco and the catacombs located below the church where there are hundreds of thousands bones of the dead. The church and monastery are dated from 1673 and were completed in 1774. As we toured, the music from the Feast of the Immaculate Conception service in the Church above drifted down into the area where the skulls and other bones were piled making the tour a strangely religious experience.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Artist in BarrancoArtist in Barranco
Artist in Barranco

An artist working in the Barranco District of Lima.
The Bridge of SighsThe Bridge of Sighs
The Bridge of Sighs

A romantic location in Barranco
The Ruins of a Church in BarrancoThe Ruins of a Church in Barranco
The Ruins of a Church in Barranco

The church building was damaged in an earthquake and not restored. The vultures on the roof give the church a haunting aspect.
Santa on HSBC BankSanta on HSBC Bank
Santa on HSBC Bank

In this bank building at night children singers appear in all the windows and sing Christmas songs. I saw the building on the City Tour, and then later I happened to see the performance on TV with the lights and music. It is a fantasy and so surprisingly beautiful.
The Monks of San Francisco MonasteryThe Monks of San Francisco Monastery
The Monks of San Francisco Monastery

The Monks are in front of the Church after the mass of the Immaculate Conception.


Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0666s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb