how do palaces made of mud last for almost 2000 years!!!


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » La Libertad » Trujillo
July 10th 2006
Published: July 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

10th July

having found the cheapest possible overnight bus to Trujillo, i ventured off again...well actually, it was the only bus company that wasn´t booked out...and surprisingly the most comfortable sleep i´ve had on a bus so far! for 30 soles! admittedly the valium helped!
met a girl named Tess (Holland) and Ushua (Israel) on the bus and we spent the whole day exploring Trujillo. An ancient area, filled with remains from at least 3 different cultures.

Having had enough of organised tours and the take take take (my money) nature of everything in Peru, we decided to do on the cheap. We took the local ¨collectivos¨ which take you across town for 50 cents. have taken much more of these recently...haven´t been living like the average budget traveller up till now!

Visited the temple of the Moon, and drove past The temple of the Sun(which is still under excavation). These are amazing archaelogical sites. From the Montes civilization (pre-inca), these were mammoth structures made entirely from MUD!! Being looted by the spaniards when they conquered much of South America, they remained hidden from modern archaeologist until recent years. Luckily the surrounding sand hills swept over them, covering them and protecting them for our inquisitive eyes to discover and explore. The temple of the Moon had served a primary religious purpose and as a palace for the reigning king. It is still unclear what The Temple of the Sun represented. It was amazing to walk through the maze of mud structures, with paintings, vibrant colours still visible from its walls. It was clear that human sacrifice was regularly practiced as numerous skeletal remains were found.

I didnt know how they maintained the mud structures over time, but it turned out that every hundred years, they would renovate the structures by just building on top and over the existing walls. The underlying structures and treasures are yet to be excavated- it would definitely be amazing to return in a few years time and see what they have discovered! So many cultures and history in this country!

That afternoon was spent exploring the city of Chan Chan- the largest mud brik city in the world! centred around a temple/palace, it was quite well preserved. no free standing roofs existed, but alot of the bass reliefs and designs remained. I was about to punch a tourist that i came across urinating on the side of one of these walls! some of these people have no respect for history!

Sleep deprived once again, i boarded the next bus...headed to the northern Peruvian beach town of Mancora!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

representing the sun godrepresenting the sun god
representing the sun god

amazing how well preserved they were
hairless dogshairless dogs
hairless dogs

these were the dogs that also existed int he time of this civilizations...quite ugly!
temple of the suntemple of the sun
temple of the sun

excavations can be senn in forefront that are still continuing
wall paintingswall paintings
wall paintings

you can see the two layers, new over old
Chan ChanChan Chan
Chan Chan

still surviving the years are the depictions on these walls


Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0297s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb