Chan Chan


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » La Libertad » Trujillo » Chan Chan
July 5th 2006
Published: August 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Arrive in Trujillo at 8am with the plan to see all the sights in one day. The taxi driver offers an unbeatable deal to take me to all sights and finds me a hostel which is not a brothel which is a bonus. If only the lonely planet had mentioned that in it´s description...
I check in then he takes me for breakfast and he buys it!!
Then a short drive through some odd local roads to La Huaca de la Luna, apparently the road is new and used to be even worse... This site has a guide included so I get to learn lots. the temple was built by the Moche people of the area and started as only one level, as they moved to new eras and ideas they would bury the old level and build a new more ornate level above. It now has 8 levels of which you can see 5 at some points. The wall carvings get more decorative which each level and the animals change and the views changed over time. This has been excavated for over 10 years and is still in progress, the Sun Pyramid has not been begun yet so is closed to visitors. When more money is foudn that will be started and will take about 50 years to excavate as there are many more levels. They have also found some buildings between the pyramids where the town existed and the common people lived.
Next onto La Huaca Arco Iris, a much simpler pyramid with less ornate walls. No guide so I just wandered about. When at the top I could see some locals playing football and at one point they kicked the ball into the pyramid so had to come round and ask for their ball back!!
Next Huaca Esmeralda another stand alone pyramid with not much to tell. Here I see the local dogs though without fur, yuk!!
Now starving so the driver takes me to the local town Huanchaco for lunch. Great seafood overlooking the ocean. And I see the local reed boats used for fishing.
Finally to the riuns of Chan Chan, the largest mud brick city in the world. The site is huge and much has been destroyed over the years. There are still many buildings, temples and platforms remaining and a man made lake with wildlife.
Finally back to town for one night´s stay and an early start to Chiclayo.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0279s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb