El Cemetario de Chauchilla


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Ica » Pre Inca Cemetery
November 17th 2006
Published: November 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

...

¨Bah! And so I said, no, you fool, it´s no toupee, it´s my cat. Ooo, girl...¨
The same day I flew over the Nasca lines, I took a tour to the Nasca cemetary of Chauchilla, 30 km. from town.
The cemetary is waaaaay off the main road, down a windy dirt road, which is really just a track apparently etched by cars driving to the cemetary.
The cemetary itself is vast - there are over 900 known grave sites. Unfortunately, many of these have been set upon by huaceros - graverobbers. The cool side effects of these robberies (which are apparently still happening today) is that the robbers leave the bodies, so not only are there real skeletons in the open graves, there are also bone fragments absolutely littering the ground. I almost took one, but I felt creepy.
There are about 10 graves opened and covered (from the rain! hah!) that the visitor can view. Because of the extremely dry climate, the bodies are very well preserved.
The Nasca mummified their dead, removing the internal organs and eyes and whatnot, and then buried them in a fetal position, wrapped
in layers upon layers of cloth. Entire families were buried together. The wore rather impressive dreadlocks. It appears that the longer the hair, the more important the
NiceNiceNice

His (her?) hair is almost as messy as mine is at the moment.
person. Meaning, from these pictures, that there must have been some very important people indeed buried at Chauchilla.
I have included the picture of the two skulls (1) to make Paula happy and (2) because it shows a normal skull side by side with this skull deformation, which you see a lot of in museums here, but which you don´t usually learn about. Leonardo seemed to think it indicated aliens.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

For PaulaFor Paula
For Paula

NOW will you marry me? We could rest together always, as so.


20th November 2006

Why, yes!
YES! but only if i can have the butt shaped skull.
28th November 2006

Paula can have the butt skull. Go back and steal me a new wig!

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0374s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb