3 hour stop at Nazca and bus bingo


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Ica » Nazca » Nazca Lines
February 23rd 2005
Published: July 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

hey all,
our last few moments in Cuzco was spent wondering if our shifty man about town who is known to get things from time to time, Adam, would prevail. i suppose he did, in his own special way involving a few surprises involving exchange rates, a free taxi ride for him and a near blank piece of paper susposed to be valid tender for our Nazca lines flight.
in the end adam always came through despite keeping us convinced we just got ripped off. perhaps this was part of his charm. he loved to not turn up to arranged meeting times and instead call out to us across the busy streets when we least expect it. he really wanted a recommendation, i suppose to get his name in lonely planet or the like... well, unlucky.

the bus ride to nazca was with ´cruz del sur´, a great company for long legged travellers but horrid if you´re not a fan of sleeping in sweat and then 6 hours into the trip needing 5 layers of jumpers, which you have but its stored in the undercarriage of the bus. not to mention the spew smell from the kid next to me but we wont go into that.
what was new for us in south america was a game of bingo on the bus. this was far more exciting than a dubbed version of starsky and hutch. the numbers were called out over the tv speakers. in true form, i found it hard hearing the numbers within their sentances so haze translated most for me. to confuse things, the announcer and passengers got up randomly to tell jokes and it became a blur as to when numbers were being called or when general chit chat was going on.
yet soon i came close to winning but then haze had a late run of numbers and was sitting with one left for a long time. this number, we later found out, had already been called, perhaps during one of the jokes we couldnt understand??
so technically hazel won bus bingo! yay! the official winner got up and sung a song over the microphone. why, im not sure because the prize was another unbearable free trip with cruz del sur, something we didnt need.

we arrive in nazca and pretty soon we are on a 4 seater plane for a 50min flight over the lines. they are truley amazing. still very clear (though i couldnt see the ´dog´) and amongst the mass of endless desert it is incredibly perplexing why this was done. they like to speculate aliens did them but thats just the maté talking. i reckon i could draw a perfect straight line in the desert for a few kms or a giant picture of hazel´s face if i was provided the appropriate incentive!

so we walked away, yet again in peru, in awe and adequately confused of their previous cultures.

after walking the streets of nazca it became clear there was no reason to spend the night here, so we jumped on a local bus to Ica, then a short ride to the oasis town of Huacachina where we have decided to spend the rest of our trip because it is simply paradise.

--dan--

Advertisement



Tot: 0.293s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 72; dbt: 0.1176s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb