South American lines are the best,


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Ica » Nazca » Nazca Lines
April 11th 2007
Published: April 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Word to the herd.

Bus journey was rubbush, and was only made passable due to the three prescription sleeping tablets i knocked back. Win.

Arrived in Nascar in remarkably bad mood not aided by Corina the moaning german moaning about everything. this was annoying. What wasnt annoying was it being my turn to have a double room in the hotel to myself, and therefore being able to get a few hours sleep before breakfast without falling out of the stupid midget sized peruvian beds. After breakfast headed to the aeroport to have a flight over the world (but not me) famous Nascar lines, which are very cool, and show giant pictures of monkeys, condors, people, spiders etc that are only properly visible from the sky. Flight was brilliant fun, in tiny little plane that only fitted 5 people in it, myself, team norway, colin and paulo (who is completely mental).

Lines were cool, noone knows who made them but have been there for ages, definately pre-inca, and there is hardly any wind so they arent disturbed (they are only a few cm high). Good morning.

After flight went into town to discover absolutely nothing. May as well not be one. Did manage to find a pub though, however couldnt shake corina the annoying german, so had to endure her complaining that the lines were too far away from the plane.

Haveing had some beer and a rank burger, we headed back to the hotel, which was in the middle of literally nowhere, and decided to skip the trip to a desert graveyard, which we´d heard from a few other people that was rubbish, as we were knackered and the idea of lounging by the pool with a beer seemed a much less stressful option. Turns out the graveyard was the worst thing in the world and everyone that went was in a foul mood when they got back. Score-

Power went out in the evening, so could hardly see my second rank burger of the day, however i did get into my lovely double bed at 9 fora 12 hour sleep. Felt much better.

Next day was a nice early bag packing start as it had got pretty minging over the last week or so, then bus to Pisco. Stopped before lunch at the desert near Pisco, where we got into dune buggys and went cavorting around in one of those for a while (boys in one, girls in the other) driven by insane peruvian man. Was brilliant. Corina made the girls one go back because she didnt like it.

We then went sandboarding (very badly in my case), which was very hard work on the climbing up front, however sledging down headfirst on the boards was amazing, went very very fast. One of the best trips ive ever been on.

Lunch was a bit crap, however the restaurant had a pool outside and we could have a beer, so that was fine...

after this we headed to a Pisco brewery, where they made pisco liquor, which is horrible, however when mixed with lemon, sugar and egg white it becomes a pisco sour, and is nice. We bought (by accident) a little bottle of pisco sour each, and even more accidentally drank it between the distillery and pisco. This was an amusing bus journey. lots of singing and air drums.

went out for dinner in pisco that night which was uneventful, other than a very good veg soup, and me being really really really tired. again. And we had to get up at....


6am, again. Honestly its getting silly now. Today we went to the Balleasteras (wrong spelling) island on a boat, where we saw penguins, sea lions (loads), crabs, pelicans, and a shitload (literally thousands) of other birds. And a lot of guanu. Or white bird poo. Apparently its very expensive.

After this trip got bus to Lima (capital and on the coast, neither of which I really knew until a few days ago), and had an unwell tummy which resulted in an entirely unpleasant emercency roadside stop. Other than this little episode have been a member of the so solid crew for the past 2 days. Remarkable.

Got to Lima this afternoon, and is much bigger and western than anywhere else so far, which is quite refreshing. Even a burger king.

Last night with the group tonight, however meeting norway in equador, flying there with colin, and staying a few nights in a hostel with the girls, so not exactly by myself....

Right, suspect tonight might be large, so going to prepare myself.

Photos up in the next day or two, including one of my very pasty bottom running, nay, frolicking through the desert...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0208s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb