Drawings in the Sand


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Ica » Nazca » Nazca Lines
April 7th 2006
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We moved onto Nazca after a couple of days in the sun. Thought it would be a good idea to take a look at the famous Nazca Lines.

We arrived and found a hostel our usual way of closing our eyes and point to somewhere on the page in the lonely planet guide 😊 if we didnt like it,we would just walk until we found something we liked. The town itself is rather cool, we managed to find luinch one day for about $0.20 and we couldnt even finish it!!! there was waay too much food.
And Keeping in line with the strict Health and Safety rules here in Peru we passed numerous shops with skin chickens sitting on tables out in the sun and nicely covered with flies, maybe thats a reason we didnt eat a lot for lunch.

On our second day in Nazca we decided to head for the lines. We had booked a flight when we had arrived the afternoon before, and we were promised a video to explain the history of the lines etc, and our own 4 seater plane....well as we have learnt, we were expecting the video but not the plane to Food Safety a High Priority
Food Safety a High Priority
ourselves. Hoever when we turned up at the airport, we sat down in some plastic chairs and waited....and waited...thinking if we were actually going to fly or not, we decided to ask, and apparently we were waiting for some more people (so much for the plane to ourselves)

We crammed into the plane (rather a tight squeeze for me) and we were off. The lines are truely amazing and something definsately worth seeing. While the photos didnt come out all that well even though we tried to play with the exposure etc, however with your eyes you can easily see them and they look fantastic. There is much speculation over how these lines were made and what they represent. THe general consensus is that they were made about 2000yrs ago, but the reason is still a mystery. The lines make no sense unless viewed from the air, and 2000yrs ago people couldnt fly.

We met up the Dutch girls and the aussies who we had met at a previous hostel, which turned out to be a blessing as we had to check out our room at 12 noon and our bus did not leave till 8pm that night. Taxi Nazca Style
Taxi Nazca Style
We talked played cards and slept to pass the time. as always Peruvian time isnt exact and we finally boarded our bus at 9pm for our 14hour journey to Cuzco where we will be doing our inca trail. The bus ride was at best tedious, but we did have some rather comfortable leather reclining seats that nearly went flat. But due to a few people sitting behind us who didnt know the meaning of sleep, we had sporadic moments of shut eye.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0512s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb