Sandboarding delight


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Ica » Huacachina
May 22nd 2006
Published: June 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We left Lima on a 4 hour bus ride down South to Ica. A few kilometres away is a oasis town (Huacachina) know for its huge sand dunes which you can sand-board down.
The town was tiny with a few places to stay and not much to do but play in the sand.
We booked on a tour that promised a thrilling adventure, and they delivered.
We drove out over the dunes in a 5 seater dune buggy at great speeds. We got taken to a "small" dune for a bit of practise which proved that we would not be gliding over the dunes at great speed very soon. We had to walk back up the practise dune if we wanted to practise more..... so we did not practise much. After that we got taken to much larger dunes to try out our skills.
Both Mel and myself got it right to stand up while going down the dunes, even if it was only for a few meters at a time. The ride back to town was crazy, it felt like the dune buggy was going to take off or flip over at any time.
Back at the hostel we met up with travellers from England, Becks and Ben that we had met in Lima. After the coldest swim of my life, and a few repairs to my now knackered backpack (sorry Angie) we set of for dinner.
A quick bit to eat and we were on the road again to Cuzco the starting point of loads of activities including the Inca trail.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0332s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb