Sand Blasting on the Dunes!


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Ica » Huacachina
July 17th 2007
Published: July 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Today we took American Buicks to the oasis resort of Huacachina, set around a pretty lagoon, with palm trees and exotic flowers. On the way the weather was slightly overcast, with a large amount of either smog or fog. After relaxing by the hostel pool for the afternoon, we explored the unusual beautiful oasis resort. The resort is surrounded by huge towering sand dunes, Bougainvillea, and a lake with some interesting bird life. Then we enjoyed a quick snack overlooking the lake and pedal boats. Lovely warm weather, perfect for sunbathing...

In the afternoon we went dune buggying and sandboarding, which was an exhilarating experience, travelling at high speed similar to a roller coaster ride, highly recommended. The dune buggy's went vertically down the steep dunes at enormous speed, and then dropped us off at the top of the dune, ready for us to attempt to sand board head first down the steep dune, a little scary at first! These dunes are enormous, and you pick up some speed sandboarding vertically downwards, Ellie had to put her breaks on a few times by digging her toes into the sand. You wouldn't want to be doing this if you suffered from vertigo! Each time we were dropped off, the dune would be even steeper than the last! Apparently earlier in the morning one of the buggy's had toppled over, we had an experienced driver though! These drivers are crazy! Wow - what an experience!

In the evening we celebrated our achievements with free Pisco Sour. We had delicious vegetarian Chinese rice with John in a nearby hostel in the evening.





Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Cloud Dust!Cloud Dust!
Cloud Dust!

Nick Flying Down the Dunes! DonĀ“t Try this with your Mouth Open!!!


Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0274s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb