Sand-dunes and dead things!


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Ica » Huacachina
July 16th 2007
Published: July 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Spent yesterday in Ica visiting a couple of churches and a rather interesting museum full of dead people, trepanned skulls and (rather disturbingly) a preserved sawn-off hand in a jar. Not quite sure why any of them were in there but interesting none the less.

Caught a taxi to nearby Huacachina (for a very reasonable amount - very glad we're out of Lima now) and checked into 'The House of Sand'. We walked around the oasis and up onto one of the dunes which took all of half an hour (Huacachina truly is tiny!) Got absolutely exhausted just going up the one dune so who knows how we're going to fare tomorrow whilst carrying sandboards!

Made an early start to the day intending to have finished by ten but unfortunately didn't count on the locals not getting up until ten at the earliest. Had breakfast in the one place that avtually looked open then wasted time on the internet before finally finding somone with sandboards at eleven. He seemed to find us hilarious (although it was probably pretty obvious we'd never done it before!) so we disappeared behind one sand-dune so he wouldn't have to witness our embarrassment.

The first attempts left a lot to be desired and mainly involving me lying on a board not being able to get over the crest of the hill but we soon got the hang of it. Actually very fun although no way of doing it without getting plastered in sand. Attempted to do it properly standing up but I can't say either of us are really cut out to be professional sandboarders! We had to keep dodging out of the way of the dune buggies that were using our run as a road which was slighty scary! Manged to lose my third pair of sunglasses in the sand so a shopping trip is called for at our next stop.

Had to check out of the hostal straight away and sit on a two hour bus to Nazca as we were. Lovely!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



17th July 2007

Sandboarding fun
Hi!!!! Looks like you got the hang of that sandboarding lark. Looking quite the pro in those pictures! I will however wait for the video evidence before congratulating you! I bet there was more falling on your face than the pictures show!!!!!! Looks like a lot of fun... wish I could have had a go!!

Tot: 0.288s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 29; qc: 143; dbt: 0.2024s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb