The Start of Peru.......


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Huánuco » Huánuco
November 16th 2009
Published: November 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

So we are Travelling the world starting off in the South American Country of Peru, first town is Lima the capital of this developing friendly country,we spent 3 nights here in Lima discovering the colonial old town sipping Peruvian coffee and watching life go past, there is many walks of life over here but not many foreigners, we are in the minority but this helps us with learning how to speak Spanish which is one of the main objectives of traveling this continent.

There are not many shops in Lima really but lots of restaurants selling mostly European food for not much less than at home. So after 3 nights we take the bus to Trujillo which is 350 miles north of the capital, once arriving we transferred straight to Huanchaco which is a small fishing village with perfect waves.

The sun sets over the South Pacific ocean and is perfect everyday. The people here are very friendly and we are having a brilliant time, the food is delicious here lots of Peruvian specials to savor, and best of all very cheap, at lunch you can get 2 courses of delicious fare for under 2 pounds!

The guide
Fishermen with the loacl boats call caballitos de totoraFishermen with the loacl boats call caballitos de totoraFishermen with the loacl boats call caballitos de totora

On the beach at Hunachaco Fishermen go to sea in the bamboo structure and mend nets by hand.
books advise you not to wander around at night so we've been hanging around the hostel in the evenings. We have visited the lost city of Chan Chan which dates back to 2000 BC its a very interesting place with many monuments and there has been gold discovered and ancient pottery Also Peru has its own sacred species of hairless dogs, cute they are once you get used to a bald wrinkly puppy! Their body temperature is 40 decrees C and they can only survive in northern Peru because rain is seldom seen in these parts and i'd say over 90% of days are hot and dry.

Also spent a day at Chicama rumored to be the longest left-hand wave in the world the waves were breaking amazingly and rolling in endless sets!! The town is rather desolate and we were reluctant to get the camera out! Saying that had an interesting day out took the local transport and saved about 20 quid of a taxi! We'll probably be heading north in a couple of days as we are making our way to Ecuador
Its all very exciting hope everyone is well

Sarah and Darren


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0725s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb