The Sacred Valley


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Sacred Valley
August 17th 2007
Published: August 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

I just wanted to let everyone know that I am safe and sound and back in the United States. I returned on Monday, August 13th, two days before the earthquake struck. From what I understand, people in Cusco felt the tremors of the earthquake, but Cusco sustained no real damage.

I appreciate the concern many of you have expressed for my well-being and for the well-being of the people of Peru. If you would like to help earthquake survivors in Peru, please follow one of the following links to offer your support:

https://secure.ga4.org/01/peru_earthquake

https://donate.oxfamamerica.org/02/peru_earthquake?qp_source=07fy%5fdo%5fgo%5fperu&gclid=CPv1mOCC%5fo0CFSasGgodz2pEMQ

https://secure.ga3.org/03/DRIdonate06

https://www.kintera.org/site/c.ivIYIjN3JyE/b.3124887/k.EC55/Peru_Fund/apps/ka/sd/donorcustom.asp?kntaw17859=C76069C1651B4609A4A17AB80B5F427E


If you would like to suggest other links or other means of offering support, please add them to the comments section.



Regarding the following pictures, the Sacred Valley is probably the most appropriately named valley in the world. I spent one Sunday traveling from Cusco to Pisac to Ollantaytambo to Chinchero. Enjoy the pics!

Oh, yes. I am deeply indebted to Peter Frost's book _Exploring Cusco_ for much of the historical and background information I have presented here. All information gleaned from the book has been paraphrased.


Additional photos below
Photos: 49, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

The Sacred Valley on the Way to PisacThe Sacred Valley on the Way to Pisac
The Sacred Valley on the Way to Pisac

This view lies just to the right of the view in the previous photo.
Contoured TerracesContoured Terraces
Contoured Terraces

This is one of my first views of the famous contoured terraces that the Incas built on the slopes all around Pisac. The terraces were used primarily for growing different varieties of maize.
Fortified Gate along the Trail to PisacFortified Gate along the Trail to Pisac
Fortified Gate along the Trail to Pisac

Fortified gates controlled access to virtually all the major Inca sites along the various trails.
Precarious TrailPrecarious Trail
Precarious Trail

I did my best to keep far to the right.
Terrace WallsTerrace Walls
Terrace Walls

In this photo, the diagonal "dots" in the terrace walls are actually stone steps built for climbing from one terrace to the next. By building steps rather than trails to each level, the Incas prevented irrigation water from gouging out ravines through erosion.
P'isacaP'isaca
P'isaca

These buildings at the top of the terraced slope probably housed the ruling elite.
P'isacaP'isaca
P'isaca

Another view from above.
Entering IntiwatanaEntering Intiwatana
Entering Intiwatana

This portion of the ruins is known as the Intiwatana, or the Hitching Post of the Sun. These temple buildings were the site of religious worship and astronomical observation.
Outer Wall of the Temple of the SunOuter Wall of the Temple of the Sun
Outer Wall of the Temple of the Sun

Here our guide is pointing out the different colored stone that forms the foundation and wall of the Temple of the Sun. The black stone at the foundation is actually part of the mountain. The reddish stone of the wall actually comes from a quarry on a different mountain!
Intiwatana Intiwatana
Intiwatana

Viewing the Temple of the Sun from the opposite side, you can see the large carved flat rock with the small stone pillar at its center . This is the "Hitching Post of the Sun" for which the temple site was named.
Ritual BathRitual Bath
Ritual Bath

This is one of the ritual baths at the temple, filled by the channel on the rite, used for pre-ritual ablutions.
Sunday Market at PisacSunday Market at Pisac
Sunday Market at Pisac

After visiting Intiwatana, we returned to the village of Pisac to visit the Sunday market. To get to the market, you have to pass through a long gauntlet of souvenir vendors until arriving, at last, at the heart of the market. Campesinas who live up in the mountains come to the market each Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday to buy and sell produce, meat, dry goods, etc.


Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0863s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb