My Life in Ruins, Continued...


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco
August 14th 2007
Published: August 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

These photos are of some of the nearest ruins above Cusco.


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

TambomachayTambomachay
Tambomachay

This ruin, also known as the Inca's Bath, was a site for ritual bathing.
Tambomachay Waterfall 1Tambomachay Waterfall 1
Tambomachay Waterfall 1

The waterfalls in this and the following picture were built over 500 years ago and still function.
Tambomachay Waterfall 2Tambomachay Waterfall 2
Tambomachay Waterfall 2

Considering the volume and pressure of the water, many people believe that the source of the water is from a spring on the mountain opposite this site and that the water travels through an underground conduit.
Chad above TambomachayChad above Tambomachay
Chad above Tambomachay

The girl in the previous photo was standing on the ridge above the ruin.
Muy AltaMuy Alta
Muy Alta

3750 meters is equal to 12,303 feet - more than TWO miles high. Take that, Denver!
View of Puca PucaraView of Puca Pucara
View of Puca Pucara

This was possibly the hunting lodge of the great Inca Pachacuteq.
Adobe HomeAdobe Home
Adobe Home

This adobe home is covered with a traditional thatch roof. This is the sort of material that would have once covered all the Incan buildings in Cusco, the Sacred Valley, and at Machu Picchu.
Roof OrnamentRoof Ornament
Roof Ornament

You can see these ornaments on roof-tops in and around Cusco. I was told that this ornament, with its cross and doves, is a Christian symbol. Nevertheless, this "Christian" symbol also includes the name of "Inti," the Incan sun god. I think that's called "covering your bets."
Natural Stone Carving at QenqoNatural Stone Carving at Qenqo
Natural Stone Carving at Qenqo

Qenqo was once a waca, or shrine, that was carved out of the existing rock rather than built out of quarried stone. The Incans regarded mountains and stones with great reverence, or even as objects of worship. Each mountain had its own apu, or god. According to legend, the great Inca Pachacuteq successfully fought off an invasion of the Chanca tribe of the north when the stones of Cusco rose up to fight beside his warriors. After the victory, Pachacuteq oversaw the rebuilding of Cusco and initiated the building of Sacsayhuaman, Pisac, Ollantaytambo, and Machu Picchu.
Natural Stone Carving at QenqoNatural Stone Carving at Qenqo
Natural Stone Carving at Qenqo

According to one tourist guide, this stone shows the profile of an Incan face looking to the right. Others think it may have been a sitting puma or a phallic symbol.


15th August 2007

awesome
It sounds like you are having a blast over there, Wackowitz. Looking nice and refreshed in those pictures. Good for you!!! Love, Sofya

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0471s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb