The Sacred Valley


Advertisement
South America » Peru » Cusco » Sacred Valley
August 17th 2007
Published: August 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

I just wanted to let everyone know that I am safe and sound and back in the United States. I returned on Monday, August 13th, two days before the earthquake struck. From what I understand, people in Cusco felt the tremors of the earthquake, but Cusco sustained no real damage. I appreciate the concern many of you have expressed for my well-being and for the well-being of the people of Peru. I... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 49, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Campesina Selling Fabric DyesCampesina Selling Fabric Dyes
Campesina Selling Fabric Dyes

100% all-natural mineral and vegetable fabric dyes!
Meat StallsMeat Stalls
Meat Stalls

Not USDA approved.
Maize with Monstrous KernelsMaize with Monstrous Kernels
Maize with Monstrous Kernels

This corn had kernels as big as the end of your thumb. The sold it boiled and sprinkled with salt for munching as you walked through the market.
Cobbled Street with Canal in OllantaytamboCobbled Street with Canal in Ollantaytambo
Cobbled Street with Canal in Ollantaytambo

This street and its canal, as well as many others in the city of Ollantaytambo, have survived since being built by the Incas.
OllantaytamboOllantaytambo
Ollantaytambo

Ollantaytambo was one of the royal estates of Inca Pachacuteq. It is also the site to which Manco Inca retreated after his defeat by the Spanish at Sacsayhuamán in 1536. In 1537, Hernando Pizarro arrived at Ollantaytambo with 70 cavalry and 30 foot soldiers to put down Manco's rebellion. However, Manco's forces were prepared for the assault. From the terrace walls above, they showered the Spanish with arrows, rocks, and boulders. They then released water through prepared irrigation channels flooding the plain below and miring the Spanish horses in mud up to their bellies. The Spanish were forced to concede their first defeat to the Incas and retreated to Cusco. Later that year, with a cavalry force more than quadruple in size, a Spanish expedition returned to Ollantaytambo to challenge Manco Inca. Faced with the overwhelming force of cavalry, which still baffled and terrified the Inca warriors, Manco Inca and his followers fled to the jungle stronghold of Vilcabamba.
Inclined Inca Temple WallInclined Inca Temple Wall
Inclined Inca Temple Wall

Here our tour guide is pointing out a common feature of the Incas' stone walls - they all lean inward. Apparently this feature gave the walls greater resistance to earthquakes.
Amazing StoneworkAmazing Stonework
Amazing Stonework

Here is yet another picture to demonstrate why I am so awed by Inca stonework. You can see in the upper left hand corner of this niche what appears to be a dark crack. It's not a crack. The half U-shape is actually part of the stone that forms the back wall of the niche. Look how well the pieces fit together! I hope everyone else is as impressed as I am. Half as impressed? A third...
Wall of the Temple of the SunWall of the Temple of the Sun
Wall of the Temple of the Sun

This wall made of six carved stone monoliths is part of the uncompleted Temple of the Sun. You can still see the outline of a puma, now largely defaced, that once graced this stone wall.



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 42; dbt: 0.04s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb