Día 24


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Ollantaytambo
July 24th 2007
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

So even though my alarm was set for 7am today, I didn't get up until 7:37, so no breakfast for me! Our bus left at 8am for our final school observation of this trip. This was our first visit to an elementary school, Virgen de Fatima. Schools are closed on Wedneday in observance of Perú's Independence Day.

Lauren and I first visited a third grade class, where the students were copying stanzas from two poems that were written on the chalkboard. Both were written by young children and related to Perú's Independence Day. After reading through each of the poems aloud and having the students repeat the verses, the teacher gave them the assignment to write their own poems on El Día de la Independencia del Perú.

During "recreo," or break, a few of us meandered down to the market in the plaza to get some food. Fiore and I split a strawberry yogurt drink. Back to the school for a few more observations and wrap-up. Next I saw a fifth grade math class where the students were reviewing multiplication tables. Short stop into a computer class and then the group finished up for the morning. Like most of
Virgen de Fatima Virgen de Fatima Virgen de Fatima

Elementary school
the schools we have visited here in Perú, the students do not come from families with money. Some of them cannot even afford uniforms. Many of the students commute up to two hours by foot to get to school! Some stay in the village during the week with godparents or on their own.

Lunch was at a beautiful hotel- eggplant parmesan and pasta! And chocolate pudding for dessert! The Peruvians definitely know how to do dessert here!

We went back to the plaza for a bit after lunch, where I found a beautiful tapestry for my apartment. Matches my couch and pillows perfectly! Also picked up some of those comfy lounge pants that everyone has been after.

Had a nice relaxing afternoon at the lodge- sat outside on the patio and read for a bit. Our final practicum meeting was at 6, where we wrapped up and discussed all of our observations from the past month. Talked about differences between the educational system in the United States and here in Perú, and what suggestions we might offer to help improve the teaching methods that we have witnessed.

Dinner was back in town, chicken and veggie skewers with a peanut butter sauce!! Mmmm mmmm good! Sang to Erin for her birthday and drank some wine.... okay, I had a few glasses. The rest of the night back at the lodge was fun- all celebrated in our room and shared stories, watched tv, and drank wine.

Think I am gonna skip tomorrow's excursion. Need a day off!

Alyssa



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Brocheta de pollo con maniBrocheta de pollo con mani
Brocheta de pollo con mani

(chicken kabobs with peanut butter)


Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0701s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb