Ollaytantambo and Machu Picchu


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Machu Picchu
May 14th 2005
Published: May 14th 2005
Edit Blog Post

To actually get to Machu Picchu involves getting there by bus, which is not at all like our TTC (LOL), and a train. We travelled by night so we didn{t see alot of scenery until our return to Cuzco. Once we arrived in Urumbamba, we took a taxi to Ollaytantambo and arrived at 3:00pm. Our train didn't leave until 8:00pm so we had plenty of time to take in the sites. Steve and I decided to have a quick beverage and get our bearings, then we noticed the stream of big tourist buses coming in. Our hearts sank, as we knew we would have to share the Ollanytantambo Ruins with the numerous tourists. The tourists go through the site at a much faster rate, so we eventually had the place to ourselves. As you will see in the pictures that when the Incas built somthing they made it BIG.

After the ruins we went for dinner at a very delightful little place. Interesting to note, the view from the women's bathroom of the Ruins is awesome.

Next we boarded the train for Agues Calientes. The train took about two hours. By the time we arrived at our hotel (which was nothing like Los Ninos, sorry no pics) we were ready for bed. We needed to get up at 545 to board the 630AM bus to Machu Picchu.

WOW! Machu Picchu is such an awesome sight. I can not begin to describe the beauty of this place. Both Steve and I were moved beyond words. We arrived around 700 and watched the sun come over the mountain.

It took about 3 hours for us to walk around the ruins, and I believe we only saw about 60% of the ruins. The tour buses didn't arrived until 1000 so we had the place pretty much to ourselves. We tried to take the path that was less travelled and avoid the crowds. We were rewarded with seeing lots of interesting flora and fauna. We saw lizards, Vizcasha (part rabbit and part squirrel), lots of wonderful flowers and of course llamas.

We went back to the main gate for lunch and decided to go back to Machu Picchu and hike up to Wayna Picchu. What a challenging climb. Wayna Picchu is at an elevation of 2600m, most of the climb consisted of steep Inca steps. The view from the top was absolutely breathtaking. Well worth the one hour and 15 minute climb. By the time we got back down to Machu Picchu we were exhausted. We took the bus back to Agues Calientes and had a nice dinner and literally went to bed because we had to catch our train at 545 back to Urumbamba. From Urumbamba we took a taxi to Pisaq, another city that was known for its ruins and craft market. Steve and I were a little disappointed by the ruins of Pisaq. I guess when you've done Machu Picchu, nothing else compares.

We slowly made our way back to Cuzco, and back to Los Ninos (our home away from home). We decided to have a rest day before we head to Lake Titicaca. Well we actually took two. Steve had a little bit of a cold, and decided to just relax and recouperate. Steve is feeling much better today so we will be heading over to Lake Titicaca tonight. We will be travelling by a Coach Bus (like a greyhound), and will be sleeping on the way. We're planning on staying at place called La Cupola (www.hotelcupula.com) in a town called Copacabana.

We are off to have some lunch and then a city tour.

We'll be in touch in a couple of days. Postcards are on the way.




Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



16th May 2005

Stunning Pictures
Just want to say the pictures are amazing. I love seeing what you guys are seeing yet I'm sure they're not doing what you're seeing justice! Love the rescued Cuys and the colourful Peruvian dolls! I can see you're having a blast. Sorry to hear about Steve's cold, hope you have recovered. Enjoy the next few days. P.S. I don't think I'd be climbing those steep steps! - Kim
31st October 2005

Just returned 10-24-05
from Peru and also did Wayna Picch, but on a rainy, misty, mystical day... Up and back in 2 hours 5 minutes - had a bus/train to catch! Returned from Peru with a cold - maybe it an altitudinal thing!

Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0295s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb