The Last Leg


Advertisement
Published: May 24th 2005
Edit Blog Post

We're on our last leg of our great adventure. Last time we were heading to the Isle del Sol. What an absolutely beautiful place. Sorry no pictures this time you'll have to wait in suspence to see the rest of the pictures. Inca legend states that the Sun was born there. My sunburn proves it (ha, ha). We stayed at this beautiful place called the Eco Lodge. The lodge over looks the pre incan terraces, Lake Titicaca, and the Cordiellia Real Mountains. Breath-taking!!!! The Eco Lodge is an environmentally friendly lodge. Each adobe style cottage consists of a traditional thatched roof and solar panels for heating and water, and down duvets. At 4000 meters down duvets were a blessing. We were sad to leave, but we had to continue on with our travels. We met a very nice german couple and travelled with them back to Puno and then we went our way to Arequipa. We're staying at a very nice hotel called the Su Masterstad. Very nice colonial style building with a wonderful court yard.

Today Steve and I walked around the Plaza de Armes taking in the many sights. We went to see The Santa Catalina Convent that is over 400 years old, and to the museum to view Jaunita the ice princess. Jaunita is a young girl that the Incas sacificed to the Volcano gods. Her tomb was found on the peak of the highest volcano in Peru. We also spent time sitting the the Plaza del Armes watching people feed pidgeons. We made arrangements to visit the Colca Canyon tomorrow, and to view the Condors. (Some may argue, but apparently the Colca Canyon is the deepest canyon in the world. It's twice as deep as the Grand Canyon). We set off tomorrow at 730am, and will be staying the night in the canyon at the Traditional Lodge, in Yungan, a small town in the Canyon. On Sunday we'll be heading to Lima and then homeward bound. It's hard to believe that the end of our trip is near. It was truly a wonderful experience and adventure.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 8; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0568s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb