We are climbing what?


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Machu Picchu
November 25th 2011
Published: November 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We made it to Aqua Calientes and met up with another great guide, Wagner. He would be meeting us in Machu Picchu tomorrow, but he came to our hotel the night before, to give us an overview. We went over the map, meet me here, oh and you have tickets for Huayna Picchu/Wayna Picchu? "yes!" I said. In the criptic Machu Picchu website I was able to discern that only 400 people a day could go to Huayna Pichu. That was enough to convince me that Chris and I would be 2 of those 400.

"What is it?" Chris asked. I just knew it was exclusive. "uummm, just another little hike, I dont think it is a big deal". Well I didnt think it was a big deal until Wagner informed us it is a 2 1/2 hour hike with a 70% grade 85% of the way. Whoopsie. Then I didn't realize what it was until we were in line for the 10 am entrance to Huayna Picchu. So, google a picture of Machu Picchu. See that big mountain in the picture? Thats Wayna Pichu! When we started the hike, I thought, we will just walk for a little while and then go back. But we kept walking. A sign says 25 minutes to Wayna Picchu. We climb and climb. Those coming down from the 8 am climb promise it isnt far, and it is definitely worth it. Up, up, up, until I finally see those Inca stones at the top of the mountain. And it was amazing. There is a small village on top of this huge mountain. While it was challenging to hike, I could help but think about all the people that brought this rocks to the top, carved the trail, and made their little village up there.

Of course, Machu Picchu was also incredible. A whole village again, built of stone. In addition to that, farming terraces and a water system running though the village that was used to supply drinking water to it. The thought and innovation that went into this town, that was thought to have 800-1000 residents was amazing.

We ended our day with a train ride to Ollyantambo and are now at the charming Apu Lodge. Can't wait to explore this town tomorrow!

Advertisement



26th November 2011

Sounds exhausting! Nice job. They are lighting the tree in Westlake center right now, then the space needle. Look for it when you fly back. :)

Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0647s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb