Peru by Rail


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco
November 22nd 2011
Published: November 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Nicole and MatildaNicole and MatildaNicole and Matilda

at the Puno b and b
It´s all coming together now. All the websites we have been looking at are becoming real places, the tickets we bought being used, the people we emailed, we are meeting in real life.

We did make it to Puno (Lake Titicaca), and cruised the lake, seeing and hiking the floating islands. We visited one island that is sustained by the people of the island constantly adding to it, taking the reeds from the water to reinforce their ever sinking island. We stayed with Edgar (on solid ground, not the floating island!), at what would best be described as a Peruvian bed and breakfast, which was awesome. He made all our travel arrangements for us while we were there, while we relaxed and socialized with the other house guests and Matilda, their very charming dog.

We hopped Perurail the next day, which was definitely one of the highlights for me. A ten hour ride, I was so fasinated by the ever changing landscape, that I could never find time to open my book or take a nap. As we passed each small city, the children would wave to us excitedly! As I watched the landscape change, from villages with tiny
urosurosuros

the floating village
houses (most seems easily smaller than my bedroom), and people working hard in their fields. As the train moved northward, the house got slightly bigger and the towns came to look more like cities. It is unmistakeable though, that the citizens of Peru work hard to put food on their families tables, whether they are in the field or selling their wares to the tourists.

The train itself was unbelievably nice, I felt like we were riding a train car back in whenever everyone rode train cars. Our seats were chairs you would find in someones living room and it front of us a table where we would be served our lunch and afternoon tea. There was also a viewing car with glass ceilings and a bar car, where we found our good friend, Pisco sour, once again.

We arrived in Cusco in the evening, and were greeted by the Terra Andina hotel, which will probably be the most decadent hotel we will stay at on our trip. Next, thanks to Tammy (thanks Tammy!! 😊 ) Lourdes arrived with our train and Macchu Pichu tickets as well as suggestions for what to do in our day in Cusco.
peru railperu railperu rail

Peru rail
So far we are finding Cusco a gorgeous, walkable big city. Catherals at every turn along the stone streets.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

shake a leg on Peru Railshake a leg on Peru Rail
shake a leg on Peru Rail

Its a well guarded secret that Chris is actually a really good dancer. Those who know him, please dont ever tell him you saw this photo ;)


22nd November 2011

awesome
Great account of your adventure! and pearl jam wow! I feel like I took a short train ride reading your blog :)
24th November 2011

Thank you so much for sharing your experience on board the Andean Explorer Train with the members of TravelBlog.
Dear Nicole, Thank you so much for sharing your experience on board the Andean Explorer Train with the members of Travelblog. We appreciate your comments about the dining car, the observatory car and the bar car; it’s lovely to know that you have enjoyed the landscape and the Pisco Sour. Thank you once again for choosing us and making us part of this unforgettable journey. Sincerely,

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0362s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb