Cuzco and Inca Trail


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco
April 29th 2006
Published: May 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Some pics from Cuzco and the Inca Trail... What a great four days, very hard work but well worth it.

An early rise on the first day at 4am to be collecte from our hostel was a rude awakening into the world of Inca Trekking. Tired and bleary eyed we headed towards the start of the trail, stopping off at a small town to buy essentials. These included a big walking stick, a water bottle carrier and coca leaves to help with the altitude. After a group picture at the starting point we were soon making our way uphill into the depths of the Andes.

The first days walking was fairly easy, with only a few steep climbs though we were constantly told that day two would be a different story. We trekked high into the mountains, witnessing amazing scenery and stopping to visit an Inca ruin. We arrived at our campsite at around 4pm and relaxed for the evening with afternoon tea followed by a huge meal later on. The porters are incredible men. They carry huge loads on their backs yet still manage to run way ahead of our group to set up all the tents and prepare the food. To be honest I feel a bit spoilt as the food is great and we are looked after very well.

As we awake on day two, high in the clouds, we are greeted with a steaming cup of tea by the porters. After a three course breakfast we set off, determined to complete the hardest day of the trail. We are immediately climbing steeply and I´ve never been so knackered so early in the morning. By 8 we are climbing the dreaded ´Dead Woman´s Pass´ - a incredibly steep walk up huge, difficult steps that lasts for hours. Sometimes, due to the altitude and physical exursion, I had to stop to let me heart slow down to a semi normal speed. The pain barrier goes on for hours as every corner brings a fresh set of steps leading upwards. It was tough mentally aswell I must say.

At the top of the climb, we take a long rest, staring down into the valley we have just climbed from. The afternoon is mostly down hill but still tough, mainly due to the steps being so big so you have to jump down alot of them... My knees aren´t what they used to be and all that...

We reach the campsite exhausted after visiting another Inca site, have an excellent dinner as the skies open and terrential rainfall begins and continues through the night, keeping us awake in our tent. During the night the tent leaks and my clothes get soaked but sprits are high nevertheless and we head out for the third days trekking.

Due to a landslide that occured at the Sun Gate (overlooking Machu Picchu) we had to change our route. We walked all day, taking in amazing scenery as the clouds cleared and incredible inca ruins. We then walked along a train track to Aguas Calientes, the closest town to Machu Picchu. This was a disappointment as we all wanted to reach M. Picchu by foot and the Sun Gate. However, we visited the thermal baths in the town and soothed our aching muscles. We then slept on a restaurant floor, provided by the tour company.

The final day involved seeing Machu Picchu, the most amazing, awe-inspiring place I have ever been. When we first arrived the sight was swamped by cloud but as it cleared it revealed the entire sight, sitting high on a mountain surrounded by the beautiful Andes. It really is ming boggling how these people built the place, such intricate architecture made with huge blocks of stone. No one really knows how they did it either. It was discovered by Hiram Bingham in 1911 and there has since been many theories of how and why the Incas built it.

I think I´ll let the pictures speak for themselves... More Pics of Machu Picchu to come... problems with computer!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0625s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb