Lake Titicaca


Advertisement
Published: May 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

We are now in Bolvia!! We are staying in Copacabana, where the beach in Rio is named after. It´s right next to Lake Titicaca. We are staying in a really nice hotel for two nights, massive room, breakfast, lovely beds etc for only 2 pounds!! Ridiculous....

We just came from Puno in Peru where we visited the islands of Uros, basically a small community that left the main land and built their own islands from reeds... Very surreal and hundreds of years behind civilisation here on the worlds highest lake. The islands float as they´re not stuck to the bottom and have to be reinforced on a regular basis so as not to fall apart. They make boats out reeds that are amazing - take a month to build and only last a year until they sink. Very interesting! We took one of these boats across to the next island where they had build a small school and even had tiny lodgings for tourists.

After the islands we headed back to the town, had some alpaca for lunch (Llama meat) then found a tiny bus heading to the Bolivian border. My luck with minibuses and small children continued to be poor as a small girl vomited on my leg and bag. Which was nice. When we were dropped off we jumped on tuk-tuks and were cycled to the border. This became slightly embarrassing as we began to go uphill and the poor guys could barely push us up there! Sam eventually jumped off and helped push... The border was painless and we jumped on another local bus full of traditionally dressed women with bags of corn and headed to Copacabana. Tomorrow we will head out to one of the islands for a couple of days. It´s lovely here, so beautiful and tranquil. Later we will climb the hill in the town to catch the amazing sunset over the lake.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0599s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb