they took the entire bus


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco
April 23rd 2006
Published: April 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Well I had one good bus ride. just when I thought it was over. this is one of the best bus stories I have to tell. I got to La Paz at 7 am found a bus that left for Cusco at 8 am sweet no delay, I would be In cusco by 8 pm to see my friends. I had t email them to say I would be in at 9pm, bad move. but I was excited to see them after 3 months away and many adventures to tell about. It was advertised as a direct bus to cusco. Direct here means 3 bus companieas, a boat 3 cities and alot of standing around. the first bus went from Lapaz to Coppacabannna. It was the smoothest part of the trip, we had to get off half way while they put the bus on a barge to cross the chanel. we had to buy a ticket for the boat and wait for it to get there for us. we beat the bus across and had to wait a while. After that a young American guy had been chased from a couple seats for putting the back down into others faces. he then decided to sit in front of me and do the same. by this point I was not in the mood. I definately had a size strength advantage and launched him into the seat ahead of him and he put his all into fighting back with a very tragic attempt, yes sweet victory there were a few laughs from the other victums slim the wounder dork. the bus ran over a sheep on the highway, the driver didn´t even bat an eye the poor farmer looked pretty pissed but I guess those are the hazzards rasing sheep on a highway. We got to Coppacabanna and slim hit the ground running, kinda a good laugh as noth was going to happen to him just some embarassment. Then I found out my trip was to carry on with a differnt company and I had to carry all my gear to the plaze to find my next bus that left shortly. I got to the bus to find the Canadian- New Zealand couple I met In Rio a few months ago. We swapped bad bbus stories, they had none , I was hopping their luck could be mine for the rest of the journey. Unfortunately I won that battle, I think they might talk to me again some day. Any way from there we were off to the border to get into Peru. The border went smooth. I met a Irish guy there traveling SA alone on a BMW GS1100 motorcycle very cool had a great chat and should meet up in Cusco for a brew or two. So now is when this story is going to get Interesting. Just out side of Puno we get to a police check point. Our bus was already a bit behind on time and My connection bus was gone. We sat there for an hour as the police did a search of the bus. We herad they found some drugs on board and they took a few pwoplw away. We then drove away very slowly with the police behind us. a couple kilometers down the road we were stopped again and the bus was surrounded by police with machine guns drawn on everything. We were told to exit the bus and stand beside the bus. Eventually we started to grab our bags from the bus under the supervision of a police. It was total chaos people and bags everywhere. they arranged cabs to take people to hostels and the bus terminal. As we got into the cab we saw the bus disappear with it police escort. The whole time we had a guy telling us your bus was delayed no problem don´t worry be happy. I have learn´t not to take these comments to seriously. We got to the bus station our bus was gone and the bus company was scrammbling to find another company to take us to Cusco. So Now i have paid for a seat on a nice comfortable bus tourist bus and found myself on an slightly up scale chicken bus(smelly dirty local bus with no leg room at all ) for another 8 hours. I finally made it to cusco at 2 am. I shared a cab into town with another couple from the bus who had not been to Cusco before. I found us a hostel for the rest of the night which didn´t turn out to be an easy task. All Is good today. I am glad to be here and able to cool my wheels for a few days before the bus ride to Lima The final bus ride, please cross your fingers for me.

Cheers

Heres to the Bolivians smuggling drugs into Peru on my bus, Find a better place to hide the drugs next time, I could make a sugestion if you would like.

Advertisement



24th April 2006

Won't complain about 16 hour rides to Winnipeg anymore
Hey Brian! Great to hear your stories. Sorry I haven't chatted for a while. I really REALLY won't complain about long bus rides in Canada anymore. We definitely don't have any chicken rides. I am continually impressed with your adventures and your ability to STAY SAFE. Please continue to do so and have lots of fun. Cheers, Heather
26th April 2006

Sure it was drugs??
Maybe they just wanted a bus with more comfort and found a neat way to trade with you :-) Prayers for smooth riding over the next couple days while you are arranging for and on your final bus ride.

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 40; dbt: 0.038s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb