Surrounded By The Mountain Gods


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco
December 18th 2008
Published: December 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Inca TrailInca TrailInca Trail

Ate wild strawberries.
After some trouble in Guatemala City, I was finally able to fly out and make it to Cusco, Peru. A beautiful Peruvian town established in high altitude and therefore, surrounded by mountains. With cobble stoned streets, lively plazas, colorful clothing, and good food, it was easy to settle and chill in this town. Travelers and tourists roam the city streets. Surprisingly, several locals speak good English. Tourism is a big industry in Peru, so learning the language is a must for them. People here are very friendly and the women are beautiful.

Our main reason for coming to Cusco was to visit the Machu Picchu ruins. My friend Homer and I decided to participate in a 4-day, 45 kilometer hike to the old city. We hiked and camped out in the Andes Mountains and traveled on a path called the Inca Trail. The Inca Trail adventure will forever be unforgettable. We struggled through those mountains. The hike wasn't cake. We cruised up to 13,700+ feet above sea level. We breathed hard. Our lungs hurt. Our legs hurt. Some cried. We supported one another. We challenged ourselves and conquered the mountains. The experience changed me. It opened my heart and mind to new ideas and new people. Made good friends on the trail. It improved my life and gave me richness that is priceless. I dreamt of going to Machu Picchu for years....since I was a kid. And on my 33rd birthday, my dream became a reality as we arrived in Machu Picchu on Monday, December 15, 2008. Memorable.....always.

'til next time,
alex


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Andes MountainsAndes Mountains
Andes Mountains

Arriving in Cusco, Peru.
Coca Mate TeaCoca Mate Tea
Coca Mate Tea

Yup, tea made with coca leaves. Locals drink it for energy. It also helps with altitude sickness. Pretty good. Sorry, no high.
FoodFood
Food

"Your dish, sir."
Inca TrailInca Trail
Inca Trail

Homer and I ready for the hike.
Inca TrailInca Trail
Inca Trail

Our hiking crew. Awesome group!
Inca TrailInca Trail
Inca Trail

View from my tent.
Lunch TimeLunch Time
Lunch Time

We did get spoiled with delicious food during our hike.
Pacha MamaPacha Mama
Pacha Mama

Our guide, Jose, giving his thanks to the mountain gods and pacha mama (mother Earth).
Red ArmyRed Army
Red Army

Our porters taking a breather after the toughest climb of the hike.


Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0437s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb