The Life of Cuy


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco » Cusco
December 2nd 2008
Published: December 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

And so our time in Peru had to draw to a close. But after a good nights sleep, there was still one traditional tourist activity to tick off - it was time to eat some guinea pig, or cuy as its known here.

We'd been tipped off that there was a place called Tipon just outside Cusco which was the best place to try the local delicacy, so myself, Beth, Rob, other Beth, Sam, Vincent and Bernhard found ourselves a bus out there. Upon arriving in Tipon we weren't disappointed. We were met at the bus stop by a Cuyeria propietor, and one glance down the street showed that every second building was a restaurant selling guinea pig. We went with the woman that met us off the bus, being as she'd put the effort in.

Naturally, we all ordered the cuy, and waited in anticipation for the treat for the tastebuds that it was sure to be. After a while, the owner called us over, and we got to see the guinea pigs in the oven. I thought mine looked particularly tasty at this point. Five minutes later, we were all served with huge platefuls, consiting of the
Alive and kickingAlive and kickingAlive and kicking

but not for long
guinea pig, jacket potatoes, stuffed pepper and spaghetti. I'm very pleased to say I did it justice, but I really couldn't describe the taste, except to say I really enjoyed it. The skin was particularly good.

After the meal, we asked to see the live ones, and we were led out back to the run, but only one was left alive, the rest were all waiting for the next load of gringos to come along. On reflection however, it possibly was a bit sadistic asking to see live guinea pigs just after eating them, but hey, it seemed a good idea at the time.

Apart from the cuy, the remainder of our time in Cusco was just spent sorting ourselves out after the trek, and preparing for our journey to Bolivia. The same night as we had guinea pig, we went for a meal and some drinks with our trekking group, and had the pleasure of seeing a rather dodgy Peruvian covers band doing their versions of various rock classics. I don't think they'll be getting signed anytime soon.

On our final day, I went for a bit of a wander up the hill past the ruins of Sacsayhuaman to try and find the next one up, but I failed, so it just turned into a bit of a wander in the Andean countryside. Which was quite pleasant actually before it started raining. But that kind of shows the sparcity of material I've got to work with to try and make an entertaining entry from the last couple of days in Cusco, so I better end this here.

My next missive will be from Bolivia,

Stewart


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Fresh from the ovenFresh from the oven
Fresh from the oven

Our meal awaits
One happy dinerOne happy diner
One happy diner

But will he finish it all?
The endThe end
The end

Of course he will


Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb