Abandoned flight, up 48 hrs, altitude


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Aguas Calientes
February 10th 2013
Published: April 30th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Well we finally made it into Cuzco. Our flight was at 5.20 am. But due to weather (low cloud) we couldnt land. But did have 3 attempts which was terrifying! Even Blair was afraid!!!
So we returned back to Lima but had to wait on the Tarmac for 5 hours. Then at midday they combined our flight with another and set off again. Still a scarey flight. It was like being in a roller coaster flying around the hills of Cusco to set up for landing.
Arrived bit missed our hotel transfer for the hotel as were supposed to land at 645. Sealed with a couple of taxi drivers and started our 1.5 hour drive to Ollyantamtambo. Amazing drive although altitude was just starting to get me. Either that or the lack of sleep. Peru is amazing!!! The scenery, architecture, you just HAVE to come here!
Did some trekking around Ollantaytambo (not to the terraces though) but to the storage buildings across the other hill (these were free, was $75NZ to go the the terraces with the other 10 bus loads). The way up was a bit tiring, had many stops along the way.
Then the rain set in to air turned into Bear Grils and found a cave to shelter in. Haha
Then his afternoon caught a train to Aguas Calientes which is the town before Machu Picchu. Another amazing trip on the train with gorgeous scenery and a REALLY ANGRY RIVER!! So much water slowing through it!
Seen a few Mosquitos so have our repellant wrist bands on. Just finding a place for dinner. We both want to try the local delicacy, guinea pig!!!!
Will update again soon X


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0246s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb