San Francisco


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Francisco » Alcatraz
February 5th 2013
Published: April 30th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Made it to San Francisco. I'm a bit jaded. 12 hour flight + 3 hours to get through customs + hay fever was not a good combo.
From the airport, got a train into town (after we figures out how to get a ticket!! Haha an experience in itself). Train reminded me of the movie "ghost". Pretty cool.
Then, all of a sudden a huge (tall) black man came barging into our carriage and starting shouting "hello ladies and gentleman, I am here to sell you a street magazine. I am a volunteer with the homeless and am just after some lunch money, have just been released from 20 years in jail..." At this point I was thinking, QUICK Blair give the man $1 for the frick'n paper! Haha, first American experience.
Now have flu symptoms so first stop after the train to hotel was the chemist (or should I say pharmacy). Got my pseudo ephedrine pills and then hit the pillow while Blair continues to explore.
Blair now back from his adventure and tells me how many homeless people are around. One who jumped out at him from behind a rubbish bin to scare him and start "playing" the rubbish bin and singing for money 😊 haha!
He is now asleep.
Looking forward to Alcatraz tour tomorrow 😊



This morning we got up early to catch the first boat to Alcatraz. A bit of jet lag had started to kick in but just had to solider through it. We arrived and WOW, such an amazing place!! The audio tour was great highlighting key points around the prison. The view back to San Fran was pretty spectacular too. After spending 3 hours on "The Rock" we headed back to San Fran for lunch and then to the cable car. A great way to get around the city (but can be scary if have to hang on the side).

Spent most of the afternoon around Union Square shopping as Blair hasn't packed for the weather San Fran was throwing at us.

After sunset headed to the 39th floor of the Marriott hotel to the "View" bar. Great views of the city light, great cocktails and food (although service was a bit average).

Walking around San Fran has been a bit if an eye opener. Amazed at the amount if homeless. And the lengths they go to to get money out of you. Jumping from behind rubbish bins, trying to sell you newspapers, shaking cups at you, or one guy on the way home was playing the drums on empty paint buckets.

Big day planned tomorrow. Hiring a bike to do the bridge and then riding right through to Muir Woods. Blair also keen to do the steepest street so that could be interesting on a bike but will give it a go.

Have to tire ourselves out hoping that we get some sleep on our next flight to Peru. Not sure if I can solider through the next one...especially when we will be at altitude!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0424s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb