arequipa & the colca-canyon


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Arequipa
October 1st 2006
Published: January 29th 2007
Edit Blog Post

plaza del armas in arequipaplaza del armas in arequipaplaza del armas in arequipa

arequipa is one of the cleanest cities in peru and its central plaza one of the most beautiful I have seen...
Leaving with a bus from Pucallpa over the mountains to Lima, it was one of the most horrible busrides I have had. The first 10 hours of the 18 hours busride climbed the mountains on a terrible road and I got breathing problems due to the quick increase of altitude... Moreover a black-uniformed guy with a pump-gun came on bord in the night to protect us on a dangerous part of the journey where no police is around. I felt slightly uncomfortable... ;-)
Arriving exhausted in Lima I was glad to escape instantly with another connection south to Arequipa - about 12 hours more, but this time also more relaxed.
Arequipa is called the white city - due to the white vulcanic stone they use so much there. The city is pleasantly clean with a beautiful plaza in the centre. Situated on about 2000m it gets there already quite cold in the evenings and is a good preparation for the far more extrem altitudes of the Andes.
I spent 1 day exploring the city by feet. The marvelous Santa Catalina monastery (I loved it most because of its beautiful colours), the lovely San Camillo market and good vegetarian food at a
beautiful coloursbeautiful coloursbeautiful colours

...in the monasteria de santa catalina, in the heart of arequipa...
Hare Krishna restaurant (so great after 2 month rice, yuca and bananas).
The next day I went on a 2 days-tour to the Colca-canyon - it is said to be the deepest in the world... In a little bus I was lucky to be together with nice people and a cool guide who made it a really good experience. Passing the highest point of 5000m by car we drove into the awesome Colca-area. I enjoyed beautiful landscapes and lamas & alpacas everywhere... Bienvenido en la sierra!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 19; qc: 91; dbt: 0.0951s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb