Colca Canyon - Full of Big Birds


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Arequipa » Colca Canyon
October 14th 2009
Published: October 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The 3 of us set off for Chivay on our tour of Colca Canyon. We stopped at various tacky places on the way where the locals sell you tat and give you Coca Tea to help with altitude, not sure about that, it tastes awful tho......

Saw a lot of variety of Llama on the way, and finally made it to Chivay by 1pm. We checked into our hotel, and headed straight for the Thermal Springs. Loads of indoor & outdoor pools, really hot too. Spent a good few hours in them enjoying some large chilled beers. Didn't want to get out as it was freezing, but we had to be back for a meal and cultural show, which we knew would be a bit rubbish. Food was ok, the band were really good, but the traditional dancing was pretty awful.

Few of us headed to town, and altho we had to be up at 5am, we fancied a few drinks. Found a good little bar and had a load of Cuba Libres and i managed to wrestle the music controls for the bar off the owner, so we were treated to some excellent music.

We made it up, and drove over to the Canyon, more tacky stops on the way, but made it for 8am. Just in time for the main attraction. A family of condors that spend an hour gliding over the canyon, and right over your heads. They are huge, 3m wingspans. When they fly over you it sounds like a light aircraft going over. We were lucky to see 11 at one time. A group who opted for the one day trip, set off from Arequipa at 2am, and arrived just as the Condors buggered off......gutted!

We made the long drive back to Arequipa and informed the driver we didn't want to stop at anymore tacky villages, so we got back at a decent hour. We grabbed a bite to eat, and had a few beers on the roof terrace before catching our luxury overnight bus to Cusco.


Additional photos below
Photos: 67, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0551s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb