Colca Canyon


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Arequipa » Colca Canyon
January 18th 2006
Published: January 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Colca CanyonColca CanyonColca Canyon

This is on the way to the Colca Canyon. High Altitude, we stopped for a break. Me and a local little girl at the stop point.
We left Arequipa and drove around 5 hours to the Colca Canyon, allegedly the worlds deepest Canyon.

Coming out of Arequipa we could see ´El Misti´, the huge Volcano that sits on the edge of the City. Leaving Arequipa to go to the Colca Canyon, would mean that the for the first time we would experience high altitude. Again the scenary driving through the mountains and vast landscape was incredible. We started to rise in altitude, and then finally reached the highest point, 4,900 meters above sea level!!! We got off the bus to experience it, and you could immediately feel the difference in breathing.

We reached the Canyon after driving across the mountains. The Canyon is at around 3,500 meters above sea level. The altitude really hit me at that point, and I felt like my head was going to explode! The Canyon was beautiful. One of the main reasons to come here was to see the amazing Condors glide across the Canyon. Sometimes these birds are hard to come by, but luckily we saw two just glide out of nowhere right past us. The Condors have a wingspan of 3 meters! That night we stayed in a hotel near the Canyon in a small village. I was still feeling rough, so just had an early night. The next day we had a long drive to Cusco, so had to be up for 6am.....

Advertisement



25th January 2006


Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0237s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1015.6kb