Chaufa and Anniversaries


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Arequipa » Arequipa
May 5th 2006
Published: May 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Jeff gave his talk to the faculty this morning. What he didn’t realize ahead of time is that research is a very politically charged subject matter at the University. Right now, almost all of the faculty members have their MS, but not their PhD. Additionally, there is some crazy precedent for faculty members with 20 years of service to be given a PhD by the school at which they teach. The Dean is closing that down and used Jeff’s talk on research as an example to the faculty about what goes on in US Universities. People were none too pleased. (And Jeff just so loves being embroiled in a controversy!)

I can understand both sides here. Faculty are paid by the lecture hour (~s/17 per hour they teach), which is ludicrous. Most of the faculty members have to teach at more than one job to earn more than a sustenance wage. So why they would be willing to do research and write papers when they aren’t compensated for it (nor is there any budget money for them to travel to conferences) is beyond me. That said, I also don’t think that people who have no research experience and have taken no doctoral level classes should be granted a PhD. This is just one of the many problems plaguing the educational system here.

For lunch today we had Arroz Chaufa (Chinese food, Peruvian style). It was very good - we all liked it a lot. There are a large number of Chinese people living here in Arequipa so it is not uncommon to see signs for “Chaufa”.

Today was Jeff and my’s 5th anniversary! Woo hoo! Jeff actually felt pretty sick most of the day and was tied up at the University a good bit, so while he did bring me roses, we didn’t do anything special to celebrate other than ordering dinner in from La Italiana - the most popular Italian restaurant here in Arequipa. Entres ranged from s/18 - 25, which seems really inexpensive to us, but is the equivalent of eating somewhere like Veni Vidi Vici in Atlanta. Jack had steak and French fries, but the rest of us had lasagna (the house specialty) of varying kinds. It was very good - we plan on eating there in person at some point in the future.

Personally, I think I might be entitled to some jewelry given the lack of celebration for our anniversary and the approach of Mother’s Day. I mean really - five years of putting up with Jeff along with 4 of Jack and 16 months of Pierce (not to mention the 3 years I was pregnant or nursing) deserves some bling!


Advertisement



11th May 2006

Bling
I second the bling!!!
11th May 2006

bling?
Sounds to me like you already have everything of real value! Bling is just that.... bling. The trip is an awesome anniversary gift for both of you. You will always remember this one...
11th May 2006

anniversary gifts
If you have spent 5 years with him, you forgot to let him know what was important to you. PERSONAL GIFTS., which may include jewlrey. It worked for me. My birthday, my mothers day, my christmas. Not for the family, not pots and pans for the house. LOVE your messages. Printed them all for Uncle Glenn. He loves them.

Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0342s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb