Flight of the Conchords - Arequipa, Peru


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Arequipa » Arequipa
November 6th 2010
Published: November 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

After having to wait 8 days for our Argentinian visas (should have been 3 days!), we were really glad to get out of Santiago and Chile, even if this did mean getting a 33 hour bus back up north. We'd stayed again at Hostel Casa Roja in the capital, the staff really helped us to chase the frustrating Argentine Embassy and we became one of the family.

We arrived in dusty Arica after our long and boring journey (extra boring because all the films were dubbed in Spanish). We only stayed one night near the bus station so didn't do this town justice and left early the next morning for Peru!! Took a 'collectivo' taxi with 2 locals over the Chile/Peru boarder and to a town called Tacna. Really easy boarder crossing and very helpful driver. Then got onto another bus to the city of Arequipa, which took about 6 hours but we were entertained by the constant stream of people getting on and off the bus trying to sell interesting food, drinks or plead from money.

In Arequipa, we had been recommended a Dutch owned hostel called Casa del los Penguinos (House of Penguins!) so checked in and felt right at home. Lovely hostel, loads of books and DVDs, great breakfast, more like a hotel where we could rest after our mammouth journey. The owner Alex was really friendly and knowledgeable about where to go and what to see. Wandered around beautiful Arequipa city centre and the main Plaza de Armas. Very well kept white washed buildings and churches. Loads of shops and nice cafes to browse, we were pleasantly surprised. One day we had a 3 course lunch for 5 soles (that's 1 pound!). We visited the Museo Sanctuarios Andenos to see Juanita, the 500 year old mummified remains of a young Inca girl sacrificed as an offering to the Ampato mountain. She was burried at the summit of the mountain so her body remained frozen and is still in very good condition, considering. Very interesting (and creepy) to learn about Inca human sacrifices.

While we were in the area we did a 2 day tour of Colca Canyon, the worlds 3rd deepest canyon (4160m dep, that's twice as deep as the Grand Canyon!). The journey to the town of Chivay in the canyon took us through some amazing mountainous desert landscape and past flamingos, llamas, alpacas and vicuñas. At one point, the bus stopped at a view point that was a breathless 4910m above sea level. In Chivay, we went for a walk with our guide, Jesus, to see the terraces and tombs and then for some R&R at the local hot springs. That night we, plus 2 friendly couples from Lima had dinner while watching some traditional dancing. There was one bizarre dance where a masked boy and girl would take it in turns to faint on the floor and the other had to revive them by fanning then whipping them. They asked for volunteers to have a go at this dance and Dee stepped up and was whipped by the girl dancer! Holly captured it all on video! After dinner, we went nightclubbing with the Limeños and danced the night away in a tiny bar in our hiking boots!

Day 2 we got up early and went to Cruz del Condor along a very bumpy road. This was a great view point over the canyon and the best place to spot Peruvian Condors. We were lucky and saw 4 of the huge black and white birds circuling in the air thermals, which made up for the rough bus ride. The canyon really was huge and the landscape very beautiful. Then we got the bus back to Arequipa and a night bus to Cusco. We were keen and excited to move on to Cusco where we would meet up with our good friend Jo, walk the famous Inca Trail and see Machu Picchu, something we had been looking forward to for ages and ages...........


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Arequipa (5)Arequipa (5)
Arequipa (5)

A newspaper cutting showing Juantia
Colca Canyon Trip (2)Colca Canyon Trip (2)
Colca Canyon Trip (2)

Coca tea, essential for preventing altitude sickness!


Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.037s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb