Arrival in Arequipa


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Arequipa » Arequipa
December 27th 2004
Published: February 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hotel: Sonesta Posada del Inca (Arequipa, Peru) $41
The bus finally arrived into Arequipa around noon. Arequipa is known as the White City due to the use of a local volcanic rock, called sillar, in many of the buildings. It was a gorgeous day when we arrived, but El Misti, the local volcano, lived up to its name. The Sonesta Posada del Inca Hotel occupied a great location right on the Plaza del Armas. We had a room overlooking the plaza, which turned out to be very quiet. The hotel recommended the Tradición Arequipeña restaurant for lunch, about a 10 minute taxi ride away. The restaurant is set among beautiful gardens, but it was deserted when we arrived. It soon started filling up as there was live music set to begin at 2 PM. I was tempted to get the cuy (roast guinea pig splayed on a platter), but my wife woudln't let me. The effects of changing altitude were apparent here, Arequipa lies about 6000 feet above sea level, and we would get out of breath after taking the flight of stairs (or maybe we're just out of shape!). It makes a good stopping point for those headed higher up to Cuzco or the Colca Canyon, our next planned destination.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.442s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 21; qc: 94; dbt: 0.2996s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb