PERU - Part I Lima to Cusco, 1st-15th March 09


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Arequipa » Arequipa
April 20th 2009
Published: April 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We started our Peru leg with a brief introduction to Lima and its sights which included the San Franciscan monastery, a striking building showing the Moorish influence brought over by the Spainards in the 16th century. As well as containing many siginificant works of art dating back to this period it is also famous for the discovery of over 25,000 remains in its enormous catacombs which served as a burial place until the city cemetery was opened in 1808.

We then jumped on the bus to Ica where a quick stop at the Regional Museum revealed some amazing mumified remains of the Nazcan people (pre-Inca times) before getting back on the bus to Nazca itself. Here we had a thrilling ride in a Cessna plane over the Nazca Lines, ancient hieroglyphs etched into the desert floor. Their purpose is still a subject of academic debate.

Next stop was the beautiful colonial town of Arequipa and site of South America's most important and prestigious Christian religious site (due to its size and how well it has been preserved) the Santa Catalina convent, founded by Maria Guzman 1579. It is unique as it is constructed from sillar a white volcanic stone quarried locally.

From Arequipa we took a trip out to Chivay from where we explored the incredible Colca Canyon, 1km deep in parts and the place to see Andean Condors catching the morning thermals.

In Cusco we took a few days to look round the charming town and acclimatise to the 3300m altitude. Our pictures show a day trip we made from here to the Inca citadel at Piscac (along the sacred valley) and the ruins of Saqsayhuaman an immense fortress built above the city between 1431 and 1508. After 5 days of acclimatisation we were ready for our trek along the Lares trail and Machu Picchu which follows in Peru Part II.


Additional photos below
Photos: 87, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0383s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb