Exploring Arequipa


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Arequipa » Arequipa
November 18th 2007
Published: November 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday 13th November

So following the overnight bus from Nazca, arriving at 7am, we hopped into a taxi and were whisked away to our hostel. Prior to arrival we faced the usual patter from the taxi driver that our hostel was no good. This a common ploy of South Amercian taxi drivers as they usually earn commission if they take you to a hotel that they work for.

We were having none of it. Having done our research, we were happy with our choice and decided to see what it was like. On hindsight, it was very good with all staff being very accomodating. It was very close to all major Arequipa attractions. For fellow travellers, the hostel we stayed at was the Los Torres de Ugarte.

We were starving after our long bus trip so opted to go out for breakfast. After reviewing our trusted Rough Guide, we headed to El Turko, which was recommended for breakfast.

Arequipa stands at 2300m above the sea level and is situated at the base of El Misto a famous, non active volcano. Altitude sickness is a serious issue and we were advised to take it easy for the first
Plaza de ArmasPlaza de ArmasPlaza de Armas

The famous Tico taxi flying around the Plaza. In the background is one of the volcanoes.
few days. This seemed a very good excuse to take numerous coffee breaks while watching peruvians go about their daily business. The altitude did affect us both, giving headaches and dizziness.

We did the usual tourist things by wanderig around the Plaza de Armas and in the afternoon took a bus tour around the city. This proved an easier way to see the cities suburbs. We stopped at Puente Grau, Yanahuara and Canmen Alto. The day was completed by a trip to Tacos y Tequila for a sloppy mexican then bed to watch King Kong, quite an experience watching films in spanish and reading the subtitles.

Wednesday 14th November

Our day started early as the builders began work at our hostel. This may contradict the praise we gave our hotel earlier, but will only improve the hostel in the long run.

Today we opted to visit the Santa Cantalina Monastery, a convent which housed almost 200 secluded nuns from the late 16th century until it opened to the public in 1970. 30 nuns still live there today but are restricted to one quarter of the Monastery. This is classed by many to be the most prestgious
Protest on the PlazaProtest on the PlazaProtest on the Plaza

We were both ready to help out the security guards if required.
religious building in Peru. It is a city within a city. There are three main streets in the convent, each named after a spanish town. On holy days such as Easter, the nuns could talk and trade unseen to strangers. There are various rooms, including small chapels, prayer rooms, kitchens and laundry quarters which can all be explored. Walking around the Monastery gives a great insight into what life was like for the closeted nuns, open to the skies and city sounds yet bound by high walls.

We enjoyed our turkish breakfast so much the day before, we headed to another Turkish outfit for lunch. This time it was Cafe Fez who are known for the best Falafals in Peru. They tasted great. At the same time we tried the famous Inca Kola, basically good old Scots Irn Bru but has a yellow colour.

In the afternoon we visited arguably the most important museum in Arequipa, the Museo Santuario Andinos de la Universidad Catolica de Santa Maria. In short this is the research centre for the ice maiden, Juanita. Juanita was discovered in 1995 on Ampato volcano by Jouhan Reinhard. Juanita was named after her discoverer, Jouhan in
Protest securityProtest securityProtest security

Don't know what they feed the dogs out here. They are huge.
spanish is Juan and for female is Juanita.

It is estimated that she has layen at the top of Ampato at 6380m for 500 years. It is believed that she was sacrificed to the mountain gods and was killed by a blow to the head with a granite stone. There are also other artificates that are on display that were buried with her as offerings. Juanita is perfectly perserved with hair and finger nails still in place. She is kept in a dark room in an ice container at -27 degrees. One of the most exciting and interesting museums we have been to. The guides are extremely knowledgeable about this important find from the Inca times. Unfortunately there are no photos as cameras are strictly forbidden in the musuem.

During our two days in Arequipa we had booked a two day one night trip to the Colca Canyon beginning on Thursday. This is one of the deepest canyons in the world and is a site for watching the majestic Condors flying. Can't wait!!






Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

View from Puente GrauView from Puente Grau
View from Puente Grau

One of the stops on our bus tour. View of the valley.
Bus TourBus Tour
Bus Tour

This is one of the locals that greeted us at one our stops. Very friendly. Thankfully no spitting.
One of the locals!One of the locals!
One of the locals!

Would make a great rug!
Santa CatalinaSanta Catalina
Santa Catalina

Nuns could pass objects through the holes in the wall on the left. Nuns still could not be seen by the outside world.
Nuns roomNuns room
Nuns room

Beds were under an arch to protect nuns during an earthquake.
Santa CatalinaSanta Catalina
Santa Catalina

Orange Tree Cloister
Santa CatalinaSanta Catalina
Santa Catalina

Calle Toledo
GaryGary
Gary

We found him having a drink of Inca Kola.
ArequipaArequipa
Arequipa

View from our hostel over the city.


19th November 2007

Baaah ram u
Lynz, Lorna hopes you did'nt chase the Llama down the road to replace part of your sheep. That photo was extremely close up , they can head but you know. Hope Gary had a head start , he's not the fastest of snails xx

Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.036s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb