More trekking...the Santa Cruz


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Ancash » Huaraz
May 6th 2006
Published: May 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We said goodbye to Lotte- waved her off at Lima airport.. it was very sad....

We had a few more days in Lima and met up with Tony on his last night in South America, apparently he could always count on English girls to be up for a few beers.. couldnt really deny that one!

Then one day whilst having breakfast we bumped into a girl we met in the Jungle, Christine and her friend Lisa. So we went off in a taxi to look at some museum, it was really quite interesting as there was an erotic pottery section. Hundreds of years ago, there was not much paper and loads of clay so they made their porn into pottery, really useful pots, vases and cups...

We then took another night bus to Huaraz, a stunning little city in the mountains, back at altitude... We stayed in a lovely plave called Churup and organised our trek through them, they were really helpful. Also randomly bumped into Mia again!

Christine, Lisa, Lo and I went on a 4 day trek with 4 other people too. It was a very pretty and different trek in the Cordellera Blanca.. the
The highest pointThe highest pointThe highest point

the mountain is Alpamayo
santa cruz hike.
We set off up the mountains in a mini bus, I was terrified at this point, at there were 500m sheer drops, we were on a gravel road and it felt like we would fall off at any minute, also adding to my fear were the crosses at the side of the road- signalling where buses have gone off the edge.

It was a lovely walk with loads to see, it wasnt difficult even though on the 2nd day we went up to about 4700m, I think we must be used to the altitude now, and high altitude trekking is one of my new favourite things.. There were loads of mountains, the difficult Alpamayo - where 30% of the people who climb it, get injured.. and the mountain from toúching the void´. The mountains often fed into lagoons- with the torquise water from glacial milk. It was absolutly stunning.

Then on the 3rd day the mountains opened up to plains with horses and cows, rivers and lakes. The views kept changing dramatically, on the 4th day we headed down, where it was warm and almost tropical... carried on walking until we got to the hotsprings.... the best thing!! After walking for 50kms up and down hill, it was defo a well deserved dip. Our guide told us.. we have got a taxi back to the town so no need to worry.... yes 1 taxi... 9 people & the driver!! I was like.. theres no way we will fit 10 adults in 1 taxi and all our stuff!!
óf course we will, this is peru and anything is possible´and of course it was... 3 in the front... 4 in the back and 3 in the boot! Lucky we all got to know each other over the trek!!

It was really well orgainsed $30 day, we had good food, tents and DONKEYS!! (even though we have both mastered the art of packing for treks now.. 1 small bag btwn 2 of us, just incase). We had wine on one night.. and free pisco sours back in huaraz... It was really sunny and hot in the day and cold at night, the coldest was about minus 2C, that was the 2nd night when we were the highest. Would definiatly do it again.

Off on another night bus to Trujillo (or THAT place beginning with T that I cant say!) On the coast....
Have spent more nights out of a bed than in one the last month, we have been sleeping either in a tent or on a bus!




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Its our donkeys!! Its our donkeys!!
Its our donkeys!!

One of our favourite things!!
Huraz city Huraz city
Huraz city

on an acclimatising trek around the city


Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 30; qc: 125; dbt: 0.1223s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb