Background: Ancient Peru was the seat of several prominent Andean civilizations, most notably that of the Incas whose empire was captured by the Spanish conquistadors in 1533. Peruvian independence was declared in 1821, and remaining Spanish forces defeated in 1824. After a dozen years of military rule, Peru returned to democratic leadership in 1980, but experienced economic problems and the growth of a violent insurgency. President Alberto FUJIMORI's election in 1990 ushered in a decade that saw a dramatic turnaround in the economy and significant progress in curtailing guerrilla activity. Nevertheless, the president's increasing reliance on authoritarian measures and an economic slump in the late 1990s generated mounting dissatisfaction with his regime. FUJIMORI won reelection to a third term in the spring of 2000, but international pressure and corruption scandals led to his ouster by Congress in November of that year. A caretaker government oversaw new elections in the spring of 2001, which ushered in Alejandro TOLEDO as the new head of government; his presidency has been hampered by allegations of corruption.
Photos from Ancash
Blogs from Ancash
Latest Blogs from Ancash
- May 7th 2013 159 diena. Laguna 69
by Words: 265 Photos: 1
- May 6th 2013 157,158 diena. Žygio pabaiga.
by Words: 360 Photos: 1
- May 5th 2013 155, 156 diena. Žygis
by Words: 528 Photos: 1
- May 4th 2013 154 diena. Huaraz.
by Words: 192 Photos: 1
- April 3rd 2013 Altitude and other A words
by Words: 1033 Photos: 77
- November 5th 2012 Back Up High
by Words: 525 Photos: 11
- October 2nd 2012 SUBE SUBE SUBE SUBE SUBE- BAJA BAJA BAJA BAJA
by Words: 489 Photos: 0
- August 9th 2012 Two-legged donkeys...
by Words: 696 Photos: 50
- August 8th 2012 A tent with a view
by Words: 1496 Photos: 59
- August 8th 2012 A glutton for punishment?
by Words: 987 Photos: 46
- August 6th 2012 I Survived Huaraz!
by Words: 1703 Photos: 7
- July 26th 2012 Ice Climbing
by Words: 561 Photos: 11
- July 22nd 2012 Laguna 69
by Words: 818 Photos: 10
- July 20th 2012 Getting High in Hauraz
by Words: 572 Photos: 11
- July 18th 2012 Back into the Mountains
by Words: 3795 Photos: 18
- July 17th 2012 Huaraz and Mountain Trekking
by Words: 543 Photos: 14
- July 11th 2012 Diversity in Peru - Mancora and Huaraz
by Words: 1662 Photos: 32
- June 30th 2012 Huaraz City, Laguna 69 and The Santa Cruz Treck!
by Words: 43 Photos: 44
- May 30th 2012 An awfully big adventure...
by Words: 3986 Photos: 41
- May 20th 2012 Huaraz..... Friendly, Fun... And boy do you need to be fit!!!!
by Words: 2113 Photos: 15