Background: Ancient Peru was the seat of several prominent Andean civilizations, most notably that of the Incas whose empire was captured by the Spanish conquistadors in 1533. Peruvian independence was declared in 1821, and remaining Spanish forces defeated in 1824. After a dozen years of military rule, Peru returned to democratic leadership in 1980, but experienced economic problems and the growth of a violent insurgency. President Alberto FUJIMORI's election in 1990 ushered in a decade that saw a dramatic turnaround in the economy and significant progress in curtailing guerrilla activity. Nevertheless, the president's increasing reliance on authoritarian measures and an economic slump in the late 1990s generated mounting dissatisfaction with his regime. FUJIMORI won reelection to a third term in the spring of 2000, but international pressure and corruption scandals led to his ouster by Congress in November of that year. A caretaker government oversaw new elections in the spring of 2001, which ushered in Alejandro TOLEDO as the new head of government; his presidency has been hampered by allegations of corruption.
Photos from Ancash
Blogs from Ancash
Latest Blogs from Ancash
- October 20th 2013 Peru - Cordillera Blanca – “Porque está ahí”
by Words: 42 Photos: 7
- September 18th 2013 The Highest I've Ever Been: Cordillera Blancas and Cocaine
by Words: 2287 Photos: 0
- July 21st 2013 Huaraz
by Words: 887 Photos: 124
- June 27th 2013 Peru – Cordillera Blanca, a jump in the cloud
by Words: 47 Photos: 7
- June 20th 2013 Lake 69
by Words: 496 Photos: 5
- June 19th 2013 Huandoy Ice Falls
by Words: 269 Photos: 4
- June 17th 2013 Llanganuco lodge and lakes.
by Words: 668 Photos: 16
- June 14th 2013 Huaraz and Pastoruri Glacier
by Words: 580 Photos: 9
- June 7th 2013 Mountains, Mountains and more Mountains - Huaraz and the Cordillera Blanca's
by Words: 5934 Photos: 0
- May 28th 2013 The best way to get from Huaraz to Leticia?
by Words: 58 Photos: 0
- May 7th 2013 159 diena. Laguna 69
by Words: 265 Photos: 1
- May 6th 2013 157,158 diena. Žygio pabaiga.
by Words: 360 Photos: 1
- May 5th 2013 155, 156 diena. Žygis
by Words: 528 Photos: 1
- May 4th 2013 154 diena. Huaraz.
by Words: 192 Photos: 1
- April 3rd 2013 Altitude and other A words
by Words: 1033 Photos: 77
- November 5th 2012 Back Up High
by Words: 525 Photos: 11
- October 2nd 2012 SUBE SUBE SUBE SUBE SUBE- BAJA BAJA BAJA BAJA
by Words: 489 Photos: 0
- August 9th 2012 Two-legged donkeys...
by Words: 696 Photos: 50
- August 8th 2012 A glutton for punishment?
by Words: 987 Photos: 46
- August 8th 2012 A tent with a view
by Words: 1496 Photos: 59